Wish VHT/Fryette d60 mk1 model alongside mk2

Paul Bradshaw

Inspired

Hello,

figured i'd post this here, after updating the firmware on the FM3 which updates the d60 to mark II specs and various discussions i've had with fellow VHT/Fryette fans and axe users

in the future is there perhaps a possibility to include the Mark I version of the amp that was replaced with the new firmware alongside the Mark II version ?

the new amp model is great, but It seems from testing that there's enough of a difference in the voicing of the amp, that would make this really cool to include within the amps , given the various versions of say the 5150 (e.g block letter / 6505) or the JVM / JS JVM, this would be amazing

I'm a huge fan of VHT/Fryette amps (have an original d60 tube amp from 2005), the d60 more was and still is my main tone

i included a video i made above comparing before and after to give a bit more context,
any suggestions or tweaks would be much appreciated otherwise

thanks !

Last edited:
+1.
I agree completely. Another VHT fan here (I have a VHT Pitbull 100CL) and previous D60 model was one of my favorites. I'm not saying the new model is not great but it's definitely not my cup of tea...it lost its dry/stiff/gnarly/percussive tone so I'm using another models after the firmware update (24.04 - Axe FX III). Having both models will be awesome because there's a noticeable difference between them.

I agree. The MKII sim does not seem to have what made the previous sim special. I tried getting close with tweaking but this was not very successful. The MKI version had this percussiveness and unforgiving nature in the feel that made it rather unique among high gain sims.

A comparison between MKI and MKII (the real amps).

From those I think I prefer the new one a bit more full and in your face but I can definitely hear a difference
In the meantime if you are looking for a stiff feeling Percussive model , check out the Splawns , I stumbled on them last night and they are pretty dry
Also this guy seriously gets some of the best recorded tones on the net IMO

A comparison between MKI and MKII (the real amps).

Also that's just a great tone , I am going to have to try and dial that in , I know Blake uses the Suhr Reactive load and a Bogner 412 IR from Ownhammer an old one , i think its a Bog w V30 he said

so by using the model , the Fractal UK LB SIC, and a Bogner v30 and his settings shown ,I should be able to get relatively close , minus his guitar of course which is a Les Paul custom

lots like eq they are very close . except he pulls back the mids and bass on the D2

From those I think I prefer the new one a bit more full and in your face but I can definitely hear a difference
In the meantime if you are looking for a stiff feeling Percussive model , check out the Splawns , I stumbled on them last night and they are pretty dry
I think the two amplifiers here sound more alike to each other than the old MKI simulation does to the new MKII Fractal simulations.

That aside, I tested several amp simulations in an attempt to closely mimic the MKI sim tone. As you suggested, I tried some Splawn models, which turned out to be drier than the others. I finally reverted back to earlier firmware in order to shoot NAM captures of my favourite MKI sim settings, being unhappy tweaking the MK2 sim and trying to un-fart it.

Considering how accurate NAM most often is, this should work out well enough. I will then at least have the percussive fryette feel in my daw : ) Would not want to stay with previous firmware considering all the improvements with other sims.

Last edited:
thanks, I'm actually really enjoying the quickrod od2-2 amp model currently as I'm not quite getting what i want out of the new d60 more model

i really knew that old amp model well and how it responded, so fingers crossed

I think the two amplifiers here sound more alike to each other than the old MKI simulation does to the new MKII Fractal simulations.

That aside, I tested several amp simulations in an attempt to closely mimic the MKI sim tone. As you suggested, I tried some Splawn models, which turned out to be drier than the others. I finally reverted back to earlier firmware in order to shoot NAM captures of my favourite MKI sim settings, being unhappy tweaking the MK2 sim and trying to un-fart it.

Considering how accurate NAM most often is, this should work out well enough. I will then at least have the percussive fryette feel in my daw : ) Would not want to stay with previous firmware considering all the improvements with other sims.
that's just the thing, the gapless change + cpu improvements and overall snappier feeling unit are absolutely huge upgrades and changes that you don't want to miss out on just for the sake of one amp model, fingers crossed😊

thanks, I'm actually really enjoying the quickrod od2-2 amp model currently as I'm not quite getting what i want out of the new d60 more model

i really knew that old amp model well and how it responded, so fingers crossed
Yep the OD 2 one is the one that instantly reminded me of the VHT dryer and percussive tone , I prefer a bit more give so I futzed with the B+ and Sag a bit and that seemed to help

Back
Top Bottom