VHT/Fryette 2/90/2 vs. Atomic Reactor Monoblock?

jbcrazy

Its self explanatory. If anyone has any... input on this. I am getting two powered wedges but I want a poweramp/cab set up as well. Anyone have any hands on impressions of both? I would love a detailed comparison... I did a search but came back empty.

Id go the VHT route. Its Rack mountable, has the stereo amp in one unit (if you want to run twin cabs).

I use the 2:50:2 to drive my 2x12 cab and will be getting an Atomic passive FRFR for when I normally mic up (so I can direct to FOH and use the Atomic just to monitor). i could even run both the Atomic in FRFR and the trraditional 2x12 If I want.

i have the vht 2/90/2 and the atomic...

atomic!!!!great (the best) poweramp for the axe with standard guitar cabs!

Wow... that last video tells it all. I think I am sold on the Mono-block.

Awesome! Thanks for the feedback guys.

Xifter said:
Impressive... :shock: I had read that people were saying you would need 2 of those to have it cut a mix. Also, I wish they had this in RACK FORM!!! :x

or in a head shell with a 2 space rack. :D

Wait!!! So are some people now using:

AxeFX + Mono Block + Traditional Guitar Cab with great results???

I just tried"

AxeFX + SS power amp + passive Atomic FR and while it was nice, it still was not completely "there for me"

yea it's a really cool power amp, but with no rack version i just don't want to lug another floating piece of gear, i wanted to keep everything racked up with the axe. Oh well maybe in the future they will if enough people want one.

Gasp100 said:
Wait!!! So are some people now using:
AxeFX + Mono Block + Traditional Guitar Cab with great results???
I just tried"
AxeFX + SS power amp + passive Atomic FR and while it was nice, it still was not completely "there for me"

Dude.. I think you need to go back to first principles since it seems FR doesn't give you what you want. Pair up the AxeFx with a good poweramp and use a guitar cab. If you can't get that to work for you then the AxeFx might not be good for you. The Atomic MB-50 is probably a good choice to try, although I haven't tried it. Personally, the axe+rocktron V300 + Lopo Cab with Mesa C90's in it works great for me, and I don't feel like Im losing much not using cab sims.

I am using Axe > VHT 2/90/2 (w/NOS GE6550) > stereo 2x12 guitar cabs (w/EVM 12L).
I haven't tried the new Atomic head, but I like my setup better than the original
Reactor powered cabs I played. My setup has a living, breathing "amp in room" vibe
plus has supernatural headroom. Critical for me since I play outdoor shows. I wonder
if a single Monoblock could cut it in an outdoor arena? Plus my setup fits in a
4 space rack (Furman makes a floor model power condition I use so the rack stays 4 spc).

Never tried a VHT/Fryette, but I've tried a pair of Reactor FR's, a SLA-2, and a MosValve. Based on your video's I just ordered a Monoblock to pair with my Bogner closed-back 2x12.

Xifter said:
Impressive... :shock: I had read that people were saying you would need 2 of those to have it cut a mix. Also, I wish they had this in RACK FORM!!! :x

I think you took that out of context... you would need two Reactor FR cabs to cut it.

Actually, the more I read, the more I think the Reactor Monoblock is perfect for me. I'm mostly using FRFR with the QSC K10 to monitor. I just picked up a Marshall 1960av 4x12. I'd actually prefer to keep my Axe Ultra rack separate from the power amp so I don't have to lug it in for direct gigs. The thought of spending another $100 to buy a Gator 2U short rack to house a VHT, Mesa, or Rocktron, just to get stereo for live shows (the more I read, the more I see that stereo isn't for the audience) doesn't make sense. Plus I kind of like the way the monobloc just would sit on top of my AxeFX rack. Better and leaner footprint than stacking a 3u and 2u rack together.

I just ordered an Ultra from Sussi at G66 (European distributor) and i was just about to buy a Fryette 2.90.2, but im torn now, and loads of people are raving on about SS amps (pro audio etc). There is a massive price difference between a Pro Audio SS power amp and a Fryette Tube power amp (best part of £1k), so my question is.....

If money was no object, what power amp would you get? (when i say no object, i mean about £1400 actually :d)

Or do i screw down two Atomic Mono Blocks to my rack and be done with it? :? :? :? :? :?

Its not just about money :)

I HAVE a VHT 2:50:2 (after having an Art SLA-1) and find the VHT much better. However its HEAVEY (well it is in a 4u Rack with the AXE).

I have tried SS amps but put up with the weight of the VHT cos is sounded so much better. I found the Pro-Audios i demod to be much closer to the VHT and so am now replacing the VHt with the Pro-Audio.

If WEIGHT and MONEY were no object Id keep the VHT (and if I didnt have an amp yet, id Buy the VHT). If either are an issue then the SS amps (pro-audio for me, but maybe a different amp for you) makes sense.

Thanks alot for your advice, im going with the Fryette 2.90.2 to go with my Axe FX Ultra, ive got a Furman power conditioner and a Strobe tuner to go in the rack. Im toying with the idea of getting a Liquid Pro Foot Controller and a couple of Mission expression pedals to compliment, although id rather wait for the FA 101 pedal.
I use two Mesa 2*12, so i figured if i use a stereo amp i could essentially have two virtual amps say a Bogner and a Diezel running out of the Axe Fx into the two cabs and it sound ......how do i say this???.... BITCHING!

:D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom