vht 252

preacher

hey thanks to all for the input.does any one have a vht 252 in use with the ultra and is there some sweet spot in correlation with the two. thanks

with the axe ultra and the vht / fryette 2502, there is only one big sweet spot.. :mrgreen:
no really, for me, this is the winning combination of digital modelling and real tube warmth, power and tone!
but each to it's own..

+1 on the VHT 2/50/2 with the Axe. I used this set-up for a while when I first got my Axe. It is as quasi said, just one big sweet spot!! Are you looking for settings for the power amp?? Try presence at 1:00, depth at 3:00, volume to taste. That's a good starting point. Class A/AB determines how the tubes run and will effect tube life. Try both with YOUR set-up, find the sound you prefer. It will also depend on what cab(s) you are running the system through. However, for the amp+cab sounds, it kills!!

That said, I sold my 2/50/2 and have been running my Axe direct to the board. It is THE best sound ever!! Cliff has excellent cabs available in the Axe, plus there are IR's available around the forum AND the power amp section is more tweakable than ever...no need to have the amp+cab set-up. More importantly, no need to lug the gear around. I do understand the desire to use the Axe this way, especially if you are used to having your amp blow your hair back :lol:

You may just want to spend your time exploring the Axe direct, I don't think it will disappoint.

Have Fun and RAWK!!! :mrgreen:

I've been using the 2/50/2 always with the volume down, then on the Axe the output high, poweramp sims on, thump off and cab sims off.

However, amp sims on the Axe and then a real amp behind does blur things a bit. You can compensate by reducing Sag, however the parameter is not linear, so between Sag=0.1 and Sag=0 (which means poweramp=off) there is a huge difference.

So recently I started to run it differently: 2/50/2 cranked, Axe volume to taste, Axe poweramp sims off, cab sims off. I had to put up the bass and mids on my amp patches, but now I'm digging the tone this way more. It's more direct and transparent, you have to take it easy on the VHT's presence, otherwise it can get thin for leads.

Just experiment and see what you like more. If you like poweramp sims on on SOME sounds (e.g. slightly hairy cleans), you can always turn it on in the global setting, and turn Sag=0 on those patches, where you don't want it.

I usually keep the presence @12-1:00 and the depth @1-2:00 depending on the room size. Just to add a little flavor to my patches, especially since the Presence/depth controls in the amp sim of the Axe are bypassed. Volume around 1-3:00 and adjust overall volume with the Ultra. The 2/50/2 was made to run all out so let her rip! Let the tubes work with the Axe.

One thing I do is run E34L's in channel A running class 'A' and channel B has 6L6's running class A/B. It might be the other way around for what class I'm running for the two channels but I can't remember off hand. Then I run it through a Mesa Vertical 2x12 cab with V30's running in stereo and it sounds terrific!!

I bought a weber biaser and I run my tubes at around 41 or 42. Can't remember which one's they are at the moment. I was running amp sims on and cab sims off when I used my 3TM MP-1. With the 3TM out of the loop I run amp and cab sims on, slight thump into 2 Bogner cubes.

I also run 2 amp sims 1 heavy (Das Metal) for the brutalz and 1 clean (Jr. Blues) to clean up and add more clarity.

The Ultra 'knobs' are at noon and about 1-2 o'clock to add more gain. 252 depth is around 3 I believe and presence at noon or vice versa. I can't turn the volume past 11.

Hell my numbers may be off as I'm going from memory but you get the jist.

Talk about a tonal woody. :lol:

Axisman5150 said:
Then I run it through a Mesa Vertical 2x12 cab with V30's running in stereo and it sounds terrific!!

Hey Axisman ... you said that you run Mesa Vertical Recto cab in Stereo ... I think you said that you modded this cab with Becos Plate ...

http://www.becos.ro/htm/2x12_BECOS_Jack ... witch.html

I'm in the process of doing this mod to my vertical recto , and just wanted to ask is it worth ? I've noticed that speakers will be 16 ohm when in stereo ... I have Mesa 2:fifty power amp and would like to run it with Axe in stereo rather than mono. Amp will be running at 8 ohms .... just your experiences with this ...

I was reading somewhere on Mesa boards that it is not a good thing , like there will be phase cancelations when there are two speakers in stereo in one box ... can anyone comment on this ?

thx

Hey Axisman ... just loaded the plate today at rehearsal ... setup was a breeze , I just had to peek into cab which wire is positive :) and I have just one word ..... W O W .... ufff ... this sound was totally unexpected ... now i'm in big dilemma :) .... I turned off cab and amp modeling for patches made for FOH, and using this setup without any tweaking I was blown away by how nice Axe works in stereo with Mesa 2:fifty poweramp ...

Hey, way to go Miki!

That Becos plate makes it possible to only lug around one cab instead two. Although not true stereo spread but at least your able to run both channels of your Axe/amp. (VHT,Mesa,ect)
The tones through an amp/cab with the Axe is where it really shines. At home I usually play my Ultra through the digital out into my sound card through a good stereo system and it sounds very good and it's great with recording but when I want that amp in your face sound, it does that perfectly with the power amp/cab setup. Enjoy! :D

Back
Top Bottom