VHT 2/50/2 vs. VHT 2/90/2

GreatGreen

Power User
Has anybody taken the time to really sit down and compare these two amps with the AxeFx side-by-side, at multiple volumes?

I already own the 2/90/2 and use it with the Axe, but there are just so many people who use the 2/50/2 that I'm wondering what it's all about.

Do the two amps sound all that different from each other? Do they sound different enough that 3 seconds of editing inside the Axe couldn't render them all but basically indistinguishable?

What's the deal with these two amps when compared to each other?

Would like to know exactly the same thing .. I have and use VHT 2/90/2 interested to know about 2/50/2,

Mik.

GreatGreen said:
Has anybody taken the time to really sit down and compare these two amps with the AxeFx side-by-side, at multiple volumes?

I already own the 2/90/2 and use it with the Axe, but there are just so many people who use the 2/50/2 that I'm wondering what it's all about.

Do the two amps sound all that different from each other? Do they sound different enough that 3 seconds of editing inside the Axe couldn't render them all but basically indistinguishable?

What's the deal with these two amps when compared to each other?

The 2/90/2, if flipped upside-down and racked in between a Behringer feedback destroyer and a grilled cheese sandwich, will actually sound 2% better (on a very definitive scale) than the 2/50/2.

Fact.

Hey Wes.

Makes sense .. I just picked up my VHT 2/90/2 from regular service and the tech measured the output of the amp .. It was 110 (!) Watt of clean power (without any distorion) and once you start overdriving the power tubes it was getting into 190 (!!!) Watt territory for each channel :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mik.

mik said:
Makes sense .. I just picked up my VHT 2/90/2 from regular service and the tech measured the output of the amp .. It was 110 (!) Watt of clean power (without any distorion) and once you start overdriving the power tubes it was getting into 190 (!!!) Watt territory for each channel :shock: :shock: :shock:

Mik.

Holy shit.

Did he say anything about how it sounded when it was really being cranked? I've heard mixed reviews about the sound of KT88 tubes when overdriven.

Then again... at 110 clean watts, I'll probably never have to worry abou that. Ever.

KT88 breakup is very cool. It's just that you can't be in the same room. My 2902 gets seriously loud. I used to have a 2502 and would actually rather have it than the 2902 because I can never goose the 2902 enough to get the good stuff out of i.

I have always liked Svetlana, I am leaning towards the CED's ( i think they come stock in them now)

hippietim said:
KT88 breakup is very cool. It's just that you can't be in the same room. My 2902 gets seriously loud. I used to have a 2502 and would actually rather have it than the 2902 because I can never goose the 2902 enough to get the good stuff out of i.
That's the nail on the head right there. Most people will never be able to turn the 2/90/2 loud enough to just get into that power tube saturation that can be tone heaven for some. For some players, 90w a side is too much and I guess that is why 50w/channel is better for a lot of guitarists. However, if you want the power amp section to act "clean" for all intents and purposes, the 2/90/2 gives more headroom.

hideous said:
hippietim said:
That's the nail on the head right there. Most people will never be able to turn the 2/90/2 loud enough to just get into that power tube saturation that can be tone heaven for some. For some players, 90w a side is too much and I guess that is why 50w/channel is better for a lot of guitarists. However, if you want the power amp section to act "clean" for all intents and purposes, the 2/90/2 gives more headroom.

So, I can't believe my head is going this direction but... if the 2/90/2 will, as far as the way I'm going to use it, stay clean pretty much always, would there really be any tangible benefit from having tubes in the amp in the first place? I mean if there's really no breakup going on, will the tubes still provide clarity / warmth that wouldn't otherwise be there with a really well made solid state amp?

GreatGreen said:
hideous said:
hippietim said:

So, I can't believe my head is going this direction but... if the 2/90/2 will, as far as the way I'm going to use it, stay clean pretty much always, would there really be any tangible benefit from having tubes in the amp in the first place? I mean if there's really no breakup going on, will the tubes still provide clarity / warmth that wouldn't otherwise be there with a really well made solid state amp?

there is no point in a 2902 at moderate volume unless you like the particular color that the amp has - but you should be able to come close to that with eq.

hippietim said:
there is no point in a 2902 at moderate volume unless you like the particular color that the amp has - but you should be able to come close to that with eq.

So, what about the 2/50/2 ? How loud does that amp need to be before it approaches good sounding distortion?

Back
Top Bottom