VH4 Low end boomy-ness

I switched from the VH4 to the Herbert for this reason

the Herbert offers a very similar voice to the VH4, but in fw10+ it seems somehow a little tighter

I liked to use vh4 before but in fw10 herbert seemed to be better this time. In fw9 vh4 was one of my go-to amps...

But now I use Fryette since I figured it's 99% like MESA Roadster...but cool if vh4 is gonna be MIMICd again. I hope same thing for rectos....

I liked to use vh4 before but in fw10 herbert seemed to be better this time. In fw9 vh4 was one of my go-to amps...

pre fw10, the 5153Red and VH4ch4 were my stock pair of riffing amps
I did try the Herbert ch3 and whilst I liked the voicing, I found the low end to be a little loose
since fw10 the VH4 and Herbert [to my ears] have gone through a sort of role reversal
the Herbert has raised it's game considerably [and beautifully I might add]
and the VH4 seems to have lost it's tightness

what would be cool though would be to be able to capture that 'feeling' you get playing through the real VH4ch3
first time I played through one I think I did a lil' sex wee...
seriously though, if FAS manage to nail that, I reckon the VH4ch3 in tandem with a 5153Blue would be an absolute monster combination

I know I'm one of the folks that would really appreciate Cliff taking another peak at the VH4, so I'm glad to hear he's going to do it. I have never played through one, but I've been in a medium sized room with one cranked to all hell, and the sound of that amp is just... jaw dropping. Clear, direct, but also huge and chimey as well. It just hits you in the chest and immediately gets the adrenaline pumping. Brutal and beautiful.

Hmmm. While a common model before, I guess I haven't really tried the VH4 ch4 in FW10. It sounds better - but, yeah, there's this....boxiness....like the stock 250hz depth is 'baked in'. As I suspected, putting a GEQ post-amp block, and pulling 250hz down to, say, -3 balances it out.

Further, the boxiness is worse with more mids - but this model has always had a weird mid-range to me.

Hmmm. While a common model before, I guess I haven't really tried the VH4 ch4 in FW10. It sounds better - but, yeah, there's this....boxiness....like the stock 250hz depth is 'baked in'. As I suspected, putting a GEQ post-amp block, and pulling 250hz down to, say, -3 balances it out.

Further, the boxiness is worse with more mids - but this model has always had a weird mid-range to me.

10.06 will have updated VH4 models, as announced above.

Back
Top Bottom