Very strange Axe FX II issue with new guitar?

James

Alright so I've had my Axe for just about a year now and have had no issues whatsoever, it's great. My set up is the Axe connected to Axe edit via USB to my PC and directly output to Dynaudio monitors. I get a new guitar this past week (Ibanez RGD 2127z) plug it in, Axe 2 boots up, load axe edit, load a patch, and two minutes later I lose my video signal on my PC!?!? Granted the PC was still running but my video was gone, only way to bring it back was hitting the reset button on the PC. The axe was working fine the whole time with no apparent issues when I lost the signal. Now it didn't do this everytime I plugged in the guitar but it would be random and its happened 4 times this last week!:( Now I'm returning the guitar due to unrelated issues I have with it, but this still worries me. When I tried my old guitar, everything works flawlessly.

Any ideas on what that might be? Like I said the guitar is going back so that's not a problem anymore but why was this happening in the first place? Can the axe itself be damaged from some signal being transmitted from my guitar via USB? My PC itself is custom built by me, fast, and has no other issues. Has something like this happened to anyone else?

The Axe is firmware 6.00 and Axe edit is 1.0.299

Thanks for any input!

Aliens-meme.jpg

I got some new shoes. While driving home from the shoe store, my car had a flat tire! It never had a flat tire when I was wearing my old shoes, and aside from this my car works fine. Damn new shoes!

Most likely a power stability issue with your home-built PC gfx adapter. Hot 3D card and cheap power supply?
USB could be the final load that makes your gfx card go boom. Try it with other power hungry usb devices.
Also could be a shielding problem with your PC, guitar might send some signals when connection snaps on.

Back
Top Bottom