Very quiet bass DI's when recording

Aceshighhhh

Inspired
Does anyone else have a problem with really quiet di's when using the axe?

My bass di's(active pickups) seem have an average RMS of only about -40 and yet my guitar di's(passive) average about -26 dBFS.

Is this normal for basses?

For reference, I'm using a Dingwall combustion with stock active pickups and a Carvin DC 727 with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths.

you're saying when you use a bass with an instrument cable to the front panel, it's quiet compared to a guitar?

Usually basses have a lot less output than guitars. Not a problem really, Axe being 24bit and all.

I have a patch for recording bass that has just a volume block in it. I bump the output up until I get a good level in my DAW.

This has been posted before.

If you are using the USB DI / dry output for tracking then it is supposed to be the same level as the instrument output. This is considerably lower than a standard DI box.

But the track works fine for reamping using the AxeFx. The low level is not an issue if you are reamping with the Axe.

If you want a direct DI track not for reamping, add null Filter blocks in series to get the gain you want.

Sorry for the late response, didn't realize I got any :lol

you're saying when you use a bass with an instrument cable to the front panel, it's quiet compared to a guitar?
Yes. I generally record di's along with processed tracks when recording into my DAW. I just happened to notice that my bass di tracks are much quieter than my guitar tracks, even though my bass uses an active pickup system, as opposed to my guitar using passives.

Is there an amp block in these quiet bass presets?
No, this is referring specifically to just the DI signals.

This has been posted before.
I've searched the forum, and my specific question has not been asked. This is a comparison of bass di's vs. guitar di's

I realize now that it may just be specific to my bass, but is this generally normal for bass guitars? I've compared my bass's di's to others via downloaded stems and it still seems pretty quiet, although perhaps other bass di's have gone through a pre to boost the signal

Back
Top Bottom