Very hard time trying to decide between Axe Fx 2 and Ax8.

$200-$300 left over after purchasing the Axe FX II and monitors would be enough to purchase an interface. Unless I'm missing something, you'd have enough to make it work. Since you don't play out, you can always purchase a foot controller later, and you can always downgrade if you decide it's overkill. However, upgrading to an Axe II from the AX8 might take a bit longer once you've spent the extra cash should you decide you need the extra features and more power.

I wouldn't need an interface with the Axe Fx since its built in.

I wouldn't need an interface with the Axe Fx since its built in.
I'd still recommend a good quality interface. More options, flexibility and expansion if need be. I just think a dedicated interface is the way to go, IMHO.

How is the AX8 more plug and play than the Axe FX II? Other than lacking dual amps / cabs, Tone Matching, and having fewer effects, isn't the AX8 every bit as deep and tweakable as the Axe FX II?
Its true its really mostly a matter of that I own an Axe FX II and occasionally overload the CPU. Also, on the FX8 there's some difference in X/Y use, there are some fx that are one instance only, I'm not a big vocoder fan, but no megatap delay (which I love using with modifiers and pedals) and the ability to do additional room ambience things with the cab. But Cliff's right, 99% percent of the users won't notice.

Its true its really mostly a matter of that I own an Axe FX II and occasionally overload the CPU. Also, on the FX8 there's some difference in X/Y use, there are some fx that are one instance only, no megatap delay and the ability to do additional room ambience things with the cab. But Cliff's right, 99% percent of the users won't notice.

Personally, I much prefer the Axe II for the reasons you mentioned(plus I like Tone Match, dual cabs, quad chorus, etc.), though as far as tweakability goes, I would think it would be just as easy to get bogged down tweaking tones with the AX8. To the best of my knowledge, the advanced parameters (for what's available) are the same in both units.

I'd go AFII, especially if I'm using it at home. Re-amp'ing over USB or SPDIF is an amazing thing to be able to do. It's easier than analog channel re-amp'ing. Dual AMP and CAB blocks, tone matching, the extra REV blocks -- all that stuff is super nice to have when you're recording. Also, for home-only use I might skip an MFC-101 and just go with something super small like the MC-6 from MorningStar Engineering and use the expression pedal inputs on the back of the unit for some real time control.

He'd selected the 6i6 as an external interface in conjunction with the AX8.
Ugh. @rich2k4 heartbreak will ensue. Skip the Scarlett lineup from Focusrite and get a Saffire. Too many people report issues with the bit rate and SPDIF sections of the Scarlett series on the forum. There's a used, Pro 14 DSP in the for sale section for $200 -- way better choice IMO.

Last edited:
Ugh. @rich2k4 heartbreak will ensue. Skip the Scarlett lineup from Focusrite and get a Sapphire. Too many people report issues with the bit rate and SPDIF sections of the Scarlett series on the forum. There's a used, Pro 14 DSP in the for sale section for $200 -- way better choice IMO.

I've also seen a few new on eBay for $200 or less.

Personally, I much prefer the Axe II for the reasons you mentioned(plus I like Tone Match, dual cabs, quad chorus, etc.), though as far as tweakability goes, I would think it would be just as easy to get bogged down tweaking tones with the AX8. To the best of my knowledge, the advanced parameters (for what's available) are the same in both units.
Yeah, that's very true. You can be a tweak-guru (or wanna be in my case) with both. Although since I don't have the MFC 101, I would be so excited to have a floor unit with footswitches that I think that would help me focus my tweaking on loopable preset scenes, the floor pedals, etc.

(Nice little thingy there at about 3:30, wow. )

Might be able to find a used Axe II (non XL of course) plus MFC (non MKII) for mabye $1700 or so. I've seen a few out there and its a heck of a combo for that price. I think 100 some IR slots is plenty ( I use maybe 5 users) and the rest just stock factory slots, and certainly don't need more than 384 presets slots. Best bang for the buck for sure

I'd go for the second hand FX2 option. After Sales with FAS is top notch, if any need at all, and the rack unit is a bit more comfortable for CPU performance. You'd need a footpedal though, like a FCB1010 for example (the MFC is probably the best, but for home playing a simpler solution like the Behringer should be satisfactory).

Back
Top Bottom