Very Brief Bass Groove

Posting the preset ... ?

Yes, will do when I get some time after work. Just and FYI on this tone, it is mostly direct with just the bass guitar doing the work. IIRC, I put a compressor first (pedal type, with a very low sustain parameter setting...barely on) and pretty much ran this straight through a cabinet block. The only thing at all different was that I created a "null" flat response IR using the synth block noise and the Tone Match Block (very simple and quick to do) and saved this as a custom IR, which was used in the Cab Block for this sound. (This was mentioned in another post somewhere.) This allowed me to utilize the mics and Room parameters to create just a little ambience (barely audible) and coloration so that the tone wasn't so sterile.

Though I'm a HUGE advocate for more bass amp models, the tone I got here displays the other side of the argument - that the amp model isn't always the key factor. I can get a very nice and similar tone using the SVT model and various cab IRs, but for THIS TYPE OF TONE (I can't emphasize this enough), I did A/B comparisons of with/without Amp and Cab blocks (of actual cabinets, like the 8x10, 4x10, 1x15, etc.), it I found that I liked it better not using the Amp block, and using the Cab block ONLY with the null IR I created.

At some point soon I'll create a preset that displays the necessary use of Drive, Amp, and Cab blocks that I'd typically use for Hard Rock/ Metal. The audio clip I posted is a bit out of my comfort zone in that it is more funk/jazz, which is not my strong suit. It does display the fact that for certain types of tones, pop tones, etc., that the use of amp and cab blocks is not entirely necessary. A lot depends on the bass guitar itself and the player, though, too.

I end up using the Tube Pre a lot with *no* cab ... And the Mark Bass TMA someone posted here.

Back
Top Bottom