Verve 12MA arrived - first impressions

hunter

Experienced
My Verve12 arrived today. Looks very neat, I like the shimmer of that driver behind the metal grille, looks very upmarket.

And it's lighter than I thought. Compared to my 6U rack with the VHT this would make a two package solution, the Verve which fits nicely in one hand, the 3U rack with Axe and power conditioner in the other and the guitar and pedals in my backpack. Fully loaded, cab included!

First I dialed in my Ueber Metal patch, and it sounded straight away good. Maybe on the level of the upper range Line6 stuff. There was a top end sizzle to it and a mid bark that I liked. Bass not boomy but a nice chunk. After playing a bit with the cab/mic and some amp parameters like warmth, thump, sag (all things I keep low or off with the VHT) it started to come alive more. The guitar reacts nicely to the cab and feedback without squeals is there in spades.

After I was kinda satisfied with my Metal patch, I went to the U2/One sound I use with my cover band. Huh, sounded very very fizzy, but after I changed the cab to 2x12 blue and the mic to the R121 it was suddenly really like being there with a cranked AC30. Unreal, it took me just 2 minutes to get a great tone for this very special and demanding in-between thing.

I cranked it up and can confirm what other people say, the sound is filling the room, it's really everywhere no matter how you walk around.

The truth will be in rehearsals next week, until then I will surely spend some time tweaking patches. Will post rehearsal recordings and report back mid next week!

I'm sure your rehearsals will go well from the Verve's standpoint at least! I found that mine had no problem keeping up with my band playing full bore, and the Verves were barely being pushed. I use two because I like the stereo thing although once we got going, I couldn't really hear the stereo effect too well! Great for recording but not so important live.

Make sure you share some of your patches when you get them dialed in.

Very interesting Hnter. Ive always enjoyed your patches and have used very similar rigs to you in the past (Bogner Shiva into Bogner cab) I have been on the fence for an frfr cab for monitoring for a while now. Live I tend to go direct to pa (RCF cabs) and just use whatever monitors are available, and didnt want to splash out too much on something which turned out to be not much better than the RCFs. Will be interested to know how you get on.

hunter said:
My Verve12 arrived today. Looks very neat, I like the shimmer of that driver behind the metal grille, looks very upmarket.

And it's lighter than I thought. Compared to my 6U rack with the VHT this would make a two package solution, the Verve which fits nicely in one hand, the 3U rack with Axe and power conditioner in the other and the guitar and pedals in my backpack. Fully loaded, cab included!

First I dialed in my Ueber Metal patch, and it sounded straight away good. Maybe on the level of the upper range Line6 stuff. There was a top end sizzle to it and a mid bark that I liked. Bass not boomy but a nice chunk. After playing a bit with the cab/mic and some amp parameters like warmth, thump, sag (all things I keep low or off with the VHT) it started to come alive more. The guitar reacts nicely to the cab and feedback without squeals is there in spades.

After I was kinda satisfied with my Metal patch, I went to the U2/One sound I use with my cover band. Huh, sounded very very fizzy, but after I changed the cab to 2x12 blue and the mic to the R121 it was suddenly really like being there with a cranked AC30. Unreal, it took me just 2 minutes to get a great tone for this very special and demanding in-between thing.

I cranked it up and can confirm what other people say, the sound is filling the room, it's really everywhere no matter how you walk around.

The truth will be in rehearsals next week, until then I will surely spend some time tweaking patches. Will post rehearsal recordings and report back mid next week!

What were your presets tweaked to before, straight into a PA? I wonder how much I will have to change my presets once my 12ma comes in ...

BMH said:
What were your presets tweaked to before, straight into a PA? I wonder how much I will have to change my presets once my 12ma comes in ...

They were optimised for my VHT2502/Bogner 4x12. I had added cabs recently to do some direct recording (KRKV6 Monitors). These are my starting points.

By the way, this little bugger is LOUD, I did have some doubts before I got it, but no longer.

I just had the Axe Volume on 1/3 and the Verve Volume on 1/2 and the windows were buzzing like hell.

Hi Hunter,

congrats with the new purchase.
Would you like to get together sometime to compare speakers?

Back
Top Bottom