Versatile "My Morning Jacket" style rig?

John Ester

Trying to create a single preset that encompasses most of the tones MMJ uses. So far I got the clean tone down: Clean Fender type amp, Delay and reverb obviously, maybe a compressor.

It's the dirty sounds I struggle with. I'd like to just add a drive pedal into the preset to get the dirty tones but I'm having a hard time getting a drive to sound good and realistic into a clean fender type amp. The drives either don't compress enough to sound like an amp, or they're too bright, too dark, or too bland..

Welcome John.

You can try a few different drives (if you have not already done so). I never run my drives more than 50% in the preset. You can also try adding a compressor at various places in the signal chain. Another trick is to run the output comp at about 2. Go to the am block and you can change the output comp.

Again, welcome.

My favorite drive to pair with Fenders to take them into more Marshall-like overdriven territory is the Esoteric ACB model. Seems to play nice with the crispier Fender top end and sounds nice and growly without getting buzzy.

Edit: ACB not RCB :)

I'm fairly new, so I don't know how to use "scenes" and "X/Y" yet. But yeah they usually either use drives I'm fairly sure.

Are you in for a discovery ride. My suggestion would be to checkk those out before building your presets. I didn't at first, approaching the Axe like I had my previous multi-fx presets. Boy, did I had to redesign all my presets again and again when I first discovered scenes, and then X/Y. Learning those first will save you a lot of work.

just watched a rig rundown of his. He uses a Carr Slant 6 and a 3 Monkeys Grease Monkey. We don't have either, but you might try the Roamer and an AC style amp together. The Ac style amp should be a little broken up when you dig in. For drives he uses a Fulldrive, a clean boost and a fuzz. Should be fairly easy to replicate

Back
Top Bottom