Vernon Reid no longer a Fractal artist?

Webb

Power User
Just skimming through the new issue of Guitar World and was surprised to see that Vernon Reid is now using a Kemper. For some reason, I always thought he was a big Axe Fx user? With his crazy rigs and effects routings, I would think the Axe II would suit him perfectly.

He's possibly not using an Axe FX anymore, so while I'm sure that he was amazing while using one, now he is a horrible person and the single worst guitar player in the history of mankind*

*What I'm expecting from this thread given the responses so far.

He's possibly not using an Axe FX anymore, so while I'm sure that he was amazing while using one, now he is a horrible person and the single worst guitar player in the history of mankind*

*What I'm expecting from this thread given the responses so far.

Exactly what I was talking about!!
You get it!!! :lol

My feelings are similar to the above posts: the man has a tremendous understanding of all things guitar, but his tones lack so much IMO. I love his playing, but I've never liked his tone.

Edit: and for that matter, IIRC, he has never EVER stuck to his outboard gear and switches his stuff constantly. He's a TROO GASsing gearhead with the means and the rep to do so.

Last edited:
I seen him a few years back on the experience Hendrix tour. They came out and did crosstown traffic. I was excited to hear what an axe fx would sound like through a big p.a. to say the least it wasn't that good and his solo sounded a lot like the one off of cult of personality... the best clean sound I heard that night was Eric Johnson but the best overall was a Marshall halfstack brad whitford and kws were playing through.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Just skimming through the new issue of Guitar World and was surprised to see that Vernon Reid is now using a Kemper. For some reason, I always thought he was a big Axe Fx user? With his crazy rigs and effects routings, I would think the Axe II would suit him perfectly.

I saw him live (as an opener for Satriani) and he was just horrible IMO. As far as I can tell, the only somewhat decent song they have is "Cult of personality", and everything else is pretty much shit. I might be wrong though, I'm not an expert on his musical output.

The question is,does it really matter?

Are you happy with your Axe FxII,if the answer is "Yes" then it shouldn't matter who uses it and doesn't. People change gear for many reasons,some for better endorsement deals,some because they prefer something that suits "Them" personally,not you "Them". As long as you're happy with your gear,that is all that counts.

So what?

I'm still waiting for the moment, when thousands of former Axe-Fx-Players want to sell their unit, because it has become an industry-standard, so almost every live-giggin' guitarist oder bass player is using it..... ok, I like, that so many Pro-Musicians now play an Axe, but it's still the least important thing for me, who the fu** is playing an axe-fx.

IMHO Vernon Reid is a really very gifted player, but his total disability, when it comes to guitar sound, is incredible. I really love the songs (especially the vocals) of Living Color and wish, he would re-record the guitars with a GOOD sound. I would buy ALL of those re-recorded Albums.

There sure are a lot of guitar players on this forum aren't there? Reid is a much better guitar player than I am and will probably always be. For playing live in a band where you have recorded guitar tones from real amps that sound awesome that you can then capture quickly and use as is the Kemper is the better product. Not surprised at all that someone would want one. I am not in that situation and need to be able to invent and reinvent my tone, not just make it portable, so for me (and probably most of you) the AxeFx was absolutely the better product. Good tone is personal, which is why the Axe has so many different amps and cabs. As I always say about my clients when they bring me guitars I would never want to play, glad Vernon has something that makes him happy. Also glad I've got something that makes me happy.

I don't think anyone is picking on him for leaving Fractal(if indeed he has left). His poor guitar tone has been well discussed on this forum in the past. I saw a video of him showing off his stage gear and it looked like he was trying to play every guitar effect and processor on the planet at the same time. The rig was out of control. We all know the sonic magic that has been created with just a guitar, cable, and amp. Maybe Mr. Reid has forgotten that most of the time less is more.

The last time I saw something about Vernon's rig, he was using laptops for guitar rig 5 and something on the ipad hooked in to about 15-20 different pieces of gear all on a table next to the stage.
Trouble shooting nightmare to say the least. As far back as I can remember he has always switched his rig up constantly.
And who's to say he doesn't record with it? Or wont reincorporate it back in to his rig in a week?
Also, who cares at the end of the day. He does because he can and its no sweat off his ass. I'm sure he is already planning his next rig.

I saw him live (as an opener for Satriani) and he was just horrible IMO. As far as I can tell, the only somewhat decent song they have is "Cult of personality", and everything else is pretty much shit. I might be wrong though, I'm not an expert on his musical output.

Really?!
Man, I LOVED the Vivid album!!
Agreed with most others... his tone may not be great... But if you take it as a whole... That album ROCKED!!
Great drum and bass groves!

You should give it another shot!!

I think his brain is operating at a higher level than his ability.. most of the time it's just a mess. But he can write well, and has come up with some good stuff.

The question ought to be 'what hasn't he tried?' He's a gear whore just like the lot of us. Never cared for Living Colour much, but damn, he can play.

Back
Top Bottom