velocity 300

fatoni

Inspired
i just got an entire rack unit (lotta rocktron stuff) and a couple old pa speakers for $250. i was just wondering how the velocity 300 works paired with the axe...is it transparent enough to use the poweramp sims or not? id still like to venture into the world of frfr but do you think this could be good enough to hold me over till some funds start coming in?

how did it sound when you tried it?

i have a velocity 300 and it's a pretty good power amp for modelers - i've never actually tried it with the axe-fx so i can't say about that but it works pretty good with a GT-10 and a POD.

it sounded good but this is in conjunction with a bunch of other gear ive never tried. i cant tell if it is coloring the sound too much because i dont have anything to compare it to...

Silverburst said:
Any news on the Rocktron Velocity 300 - Axe Fx combo ?
According to the Rocktron manual, the Velocity 300 can produce:

• Unbridged (stereo)[list:3b9o1wzr]
  • 150W into 4 ohms[/*:m:3b9o1wzr]
  • 100W into 8 ohms[/*:m:3b9o1wzr]
  • 60W into 16 ohms[/*:m:3b9o1wzr]
[/*:m:3b9o1wzr][*]Bridged mode
  • 300W into 8 ohms[/*:m:3b9o1wzr]
  • 200W into 16 ohms[/*:m:3b9o1wzr]
[/*:m:3b9o1wzr][/list:u:3b9o1wzr]

Depending on how you plan to use it (mono? stereo?) and which cab(s) you want drive with it, you may find that it lacks sufficient power to give you the clean headroom needed to get the punch you may be expecting.

It'll probably be fine, as a "hold you over" amp until you can get funds to get a really good SS power amp. Just in my own opinion, and YMMV, I wouldn't settle on this as my forever solution.

Thanks. Hmmm, I was wondering how it would compare to an ART SLA1 or 2. I'm looking at a used Velocity that would be cheaper than a new ART SLA1. Is it FRFR enough or would an ART there be the better choice ?

I'm mainly aiming at stereo for home, rehearsal and monitoring use, so I don't know if I would need extra power. Besides, I have 2x Celestion V30's and 2x Greenback 25's in a 4x12 cab with separate chambers, meaning 120watts and 50watts per side respectively. Do these watts have to be taken in same account when comparing to tube counterparts ? For headroom I read you mentioned rule of thumbs x5, but what about speaker handling ?

I might sell the Marshall cab and go for 2 separate studio monitors later for a better stereo effect and even more FRFR possibilities.

I have a Velocity 150 (half a 300) and an SLA-2 and they're very similar...slight (very slight) advantage going to the 150. It's got plenty of power for gigs...I use it to power 2 4x12's and have never had an issue with it. Plus..it's quite a bit lighter than the ART.

Rocktron also made a Velocity 120 and 100 and they are not the same as the 150 at all.

xrist04 said:
Silverburst said:
Any news on the Rocktron Velocity 300 - Axe Fx combo ?
According to the Rocktron manual, the Velocity 300 can produce:

• Unbridged (stereo)[list:37mkclve]
  • 150W into 4 ohms[/*:m:37mkclve]
  • 100W into 8 ohms[/*:m:37mkclve]
  • 60W into 16 ohms[/*:m:37mkclve]
[/*:m:37mkclve][*]Bridged mode
  • 300W into 8 ohms[/*:m:37mkclve]
  • 200W into 16 ohms[/*:m:37mkclve]
[/*:m:37mkclve][/list:u:37mkclve]

Depending on how you plan to use it (mono? stereo?) and which cab(s) you want drive with it, you may find that it lacks sufficient power to give you the clean headroom needed to get the punch you may be expecting.

It'll probably be fine, as a "hold you over" amp until you can get funds to get a really good SS power amp. Just in my own opinion, and YMMV, I wouldn't settle on this as my forever solution.

I'm not sure the manual is correct!!!

I think those are the numbers for the velocity150? I have both the V300 and a v150. Both sound great through a Marshall 1960A stereo cab. In fact I used to use the v300 to drive 2 of them in a full on metal band and it was unbelieivably loud before even getting half way, which makes me believe those numbers must be wrong.

Reactance at 1 o'clock is what I usually use, it adds a little extra "thump", too much and it gets a little woofy.

My V300 is now over 15 years old and still rocks. the v150 is for back-up, sonically identical but 1U and half the power.

The V300 really has plenty of headroom and will serve you well. That said I haven't auditioned many SS power amps, although I have owned a variety of tube power amps, which I no longer use for sake of reliability and simplicity. My AxeFX + Velocity + Marshall 1960A is an amazing set-up...I am curious to try a 2xVerve12MA FRFR setup though or a full FRFR power amp + 2xVerve12M's...

Hmmm... this sounds better than I expected.

How would you guys describe the Velocity 150/300 in the FRFR department ? Would you say it is transparrant or do you guys disable poweramp sims ?

I leave the power amp sims on with the 150. I am running it into guitar cabs though so I can't speak to it's 'full range' usage. I usually leave the reactance knob on zero but might turn it up a tad if the room is really bright or there's no wall behind my cabs.

I used a Velocity 250 (Has Depth & Reactance controls) until I got my BM5a's and it was great. I just recently sold it because all it did now was sit around. If I were in a band or even jammed with people I would have kept it for sure! Now I have 2 2x12's with no means to amplify them. :cry: Needed the cash though.

SGB, did you use the poweramp models as well with the velocity? Transparrant enough ? Because with the reactance, it seems to simulate a tube amp, which I was wondering would color too much.

Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom