Velcro Problem (looking for suggestions)

Morbid

Inspired
Hey gang.

I've got one of the older Pedaltrain boards (the big one), which houses my MFC101 and two Mission Expression pedals. I got the board used with the velcro already attached and I've had great luck for the most part.

Recently though, I stored the board in it's bag vertically (on it's side, instead of flat as when in use). I arrived at a gig and was horrified to discover that the glue had let go of the velcro (but not the board itself), and the velcro had bunched up (along WITH the pedals) and restuck to different areas. I ended up playing the gig with crooked and lopsided pedals.

I decided the only thing I could do was remove the velcro and replace it (which was a nightmare in itself with all the glue that stuck behind). I got the board clean and went to Wal-mart to pick up some Industrial Strength Velcro, but noticed that the scratchy side felt very different from the velcro included on the board. I did a test with it, and it doesn't even feel near as strong as the original velcro (and the package as it turns out, states that the velcro will only hold 1lb per square inch, up to 10lbs max...I really don't think that's good enough).

I'd love to get that super strong 3M stuff everyone talks about, but I just can't afford a roll big enough to do the whole board right now (unless someone is feeling like Santa for some reason, lol).

So if not the Industrial Strength stuff from wal-mart, what should I try?

You can go a few routes, dual-lock which is my favorite for most situations, I use its 1 inch wide for boards like the MFC and AX8, for pedals 1/2 inch would be more than strong enough.

Amazon product ASIN B00NU2W4R2
Amazon product ASIN B0141MQRGI
A little goes a long way! In the photo these pieces are about 1x1 squares more than strong enough for the EV-1 pedal it holds to this board, on the MFC-101 and my AX8 there are six 1x1 squares basically 1 by every screw hole. Although 4 pieces would hold the MFC just fine.

d7kgbzHl6aJe0MkK2

Other things I like about dual lock, once something is down it does not float around like sometimes happens with Velcro mounted pedals. And its easy to do corrections.What do I mean? If I put down a pedal and it looks a little off, simply break the seal put the pedal back down but don't push down. Slide the pedal around get it were you want push down to lock

But still Velcro has its place also if you are a person that likes to swap pedals, or the position of pedals allot. Velcro is easier in that department. Or you can mix say the only things you swap often are a drive pedal but everything else pretty much stays I would use dual lock for everything except that drive pedal position.

Preparation is key also I clean all surfaces with rubbing alcohol, and I also heat up the dual lock with a heat gun as its being applied, or a hair dryer will do, but not to much. If you make a big change or big mistake and need to peel off the dual lock just a small pair of pliers and a heat gun/hair dryer. The nice thing about dual lock if you do have to make a change the stuff always comes off clean no residue, cant say the same for some Velcros I have worked with in the past.

John

Attachments

• 20171125_105259.jpg
    20171125_105259.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 17
I used to find great velcro around 2010. A guitar store I know had large wide sheets that always got. I had several pedal boards which I fitted with that velcro and it never came off. To this day I could trust my life to it and hang from it above a cliff. A few years later however I got my first pedaltrain and I used the velcro that came with it. What utter shi te that was. It literally slid off the rack. I went back to the same guitar store which sold me the original good velcro, but they no longer had it. And what they now had was just as bad as the pedaltrain velcro. I've done the alcohol thing, used a hairdryer, nothing seems to work. It's all shi te. Especially the stuff that goes underneath pedals. The irony is that with the good velcro I didn't have to do any preparation. No alcohol, no hairdryer, just slap it on, never worry about it again. In my despair I've tried the dual lock stuff, but that never gelled right with me. I'm a pedal swapper by nature, and once I start doing a new pedal layout I don't want to be tied to existing tiny dual lock patches.

The irony is that with the good velcro I didn't have to do any preparation. No alcohol, no hairdryer, just slap it on, never worry about it again.
Yeah I really don't have to do a prep with the dual lock either, just a case of my compulsive side coming out.
:)

I'm a pedal swapper by nature, and once I start doing a new pedal layout I don't want to be tied to existing tiny dual lock patches.
Totally agree for a swapper Velcro is best.
But as far as the dual lock patches, they do come off and they come off clean.

John

Thanks for the suggestions gang.

I'm really not much of a pedal swapper, but I like having the option available to me just in case. That being said though, like I mentioned before, this board was purchased second hand with the velcro already attached...however, it's one of the older Pedaltrain boards. I had considered going to the company and just buying some velcro, but Muad'zin's comment has me wondering if that's even worth doing, since the Industrial Strength that wal-mart sells doesn't feel very industrial.

I'd rather not go the piece by piece 3m route, but it's starting to seem like that might be my best option. I'll mull it over a little bit before I decide on something.

Back
Top Bottom