Van Halen Right Here Right Now Live tone?

BrandonDT

So I've been trying to throw a patch together for this 1991-1993 live tone, which IMO was one of EVH's best, but I don't feel like I'm getting very close. The raw 5150 type tones alone don't seem to be getting me very close, probably because EVH himself was only using 5150s as preamps with other power amps. Has anyone experimented at all with this VH era tone? I see stuff all the time from the early days, and the "modern" VH tones I've seen and tried also don't sound too close IMO. Any help or advice from the pros would be appreciated. :)

Have you tried the FAS Hot Rod ? I found it to be very good for an Eddie sound but it's very high gain. I turned the gain down to about 4 and put a TS808 in front and it sounds great.

So I've been trying to throw a patch together for this 1991-1993 live tone, which IMO was one of EVH's best, but I don't feel like I'm getting very close. The raw 5150 type tones alone don't seem to be getting me very close, probably because EVH himself was only using 5150s as preamps with other power amps. Has anyone experimented at all with this VH era tone? I see stuff all the time from the early days, and the "modern" VH tones I've seen and tried also don't sound too close IMO. Any help or advice from the pros would be appreciated. :)

I would start with someone's VH1 preset and tweak it from there.

Search for the forum for "Brown Sound", "Eruption", "Van Halen", "EVH", "VH".

Take one of those presets and change the amp to 5150, IR etc.

Do a forum search for Rocco. He's done many VH vids/presets from varying VH periods. Also search Danny Danzig.

Hey I got news for ya's, apparently, I've been Glenn's little brother for quite some time and a few thought I was him. LOL! Funny story real fast...

So my family and I used to own a supply company years ago. Janitorial and swimming pool supplies. One of my clients, was a Christian church. They played all kinds of music, but mostly rock. They changed all the words to be religious in nature. It was actually quite crafty the way they did it. Anyway, one day I dropped off some supplies and mentioned that I had just signed a record deal in the UK, had done a small tour and was working on my second world wide release.

They were pretty excited about this because at the time, they needed a guitar player. They asked me if I'd be interested in jamming with them when I could, while I was home. I took a look at their songs, and it was all killer stuff. Tower of Power, Bryan Adams, Rush, Kansas, Meatloaf, Earth Wind and Fire...you get the idea. Well, whoever did all the advertising, hoped to get a bit more draw showcasing my name and put my name as DanziG with the G. They had it on all the fliers, on the church marquee, the radio, everywhere! I knew none of this at the time.

Needless to say, we had a full house of metal-head, devil worshiping, scary looking people that packed this church like you can't believe. People were bused in, had private cars,press all over, TV coverage...it was just insane! At the time, I didn't know they were supposedly there for me, who wasn't the "me" they were hoping for. LOL!!

Each person in the church band, dressed the way they wanted. I of course was all dressed in a black PVC suit...(hey, that's what I wore back then. LOL!) and I stuck out like a sore thumb. For some odd reason, those people stayed the entire show. No one in the church knew why all those people came. After the show, I went outside to catch a smoke. While out there, just about the whole place came up to me asking me about all this Danzig stuff. Press people, everyone! Then it hit me....

These people really thought I was Glenn, related to him or just felt I was some star they wanted to meet. I sat there telling them "no, I'm Danzi with an i and am not Glenn nor do I know him and I'm not his little brother. Hahahaha! They were all cool though and took it really well. They enjoyed the show even though it wasn't a Danzig show and I was a nobody to them. What got me was how all these people were so respectable and incredibly cool to me. Some of them were really scary. But that killed any stereotypes I had about people that looked that way and made me realize to never judge a book by its cover.

I never much did the stereotype thing being a little weird looking myself with the spikey hair and clothes (at least I didn't wear spandex! Ok, once! But only once!) but being a strict Catholic, the whole devil thing never sat well with me. It just creeped me out because well, I was raised to never go near that stuff as it could draw me in and...well, you know.

Anyway, that's my little story. ;) So no, I'm not offended at all Narzugon! LOL! I'm lauging right along with you guys! :D

-Danny

Back
Top Bottom