Van Halen’s Summer Nights - Virtual Capo/Classic Whammy?

deakle

Experienced
Since the Steinberger TransTrem no longer exists unless you are independently wealthy, has anyone attempted Van Halen’s Summer Nights including the intro using a virtual capo or the classic whammy of the pitch block? I was considering attempting this but wondered if anyone has attempted it before or if I am completely out in left field on this?

You should be able to use the Virtual Capo in channel 'A' to raise the pitch 3 steps for the intro. Switch scenes and/or Pitch block channels to the Classic Whammy 'B' for the 'in tune' Trans Trem type whole steps up (and down, with a big flat spot in the curve? if there is no trem on the guitar?). Set the expression pedal to only work on channel 'B'.

Since the Steinberger TransTrem no longer exists unless you are independently wealthy, has anyone attempted Van Halen’s Summer Nights including the intro using a virtual capo or the classic whammy of the pitch block? I was considering attempting this but wondered if anyone has attempted it before or if I am completely out in left field on this?
What a coincidence, I was playing with this on Friday! Yes, I have most of it done. I think the only thing I don’t have is the part where he pulls the A chord up to B. I set my expression pedal with heel down to be A, then toe down to be B. But it transitioned A to Bb to B. I have set it for continuous A to B transition, not stepping from A to Bb to B. I’ll post what I have tomorrow, and I’ll update when I fix that last thing.

Here's a preset with Scene Controller 1 configured for tuning changes, Ext Ctrl 1 as a whole-step-up bender. Scenes 1-3 use Advanced Whammy, scenes 4 & 5 use (one voice of) Dual Chromatic for higher damping on the last two tuning changes, possible because Control and Master Pitch are separate parameters in those two types. Other blocks are from the "Later Eddie" factory preset.

Attachments

• Summer Nights shifter.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 28
Looks like Bakerman beat me to it. I'll post my preset anyway. Start on scene 5, hit scenes 5, 6, 7 for the A chord transposition. Back to scene 6 for the verse, expression pedal set to heel down, modifying control from 0 to 100 (toe down to get A to B) on the A to B chord pull up on the whammy.

Attachments

• Summer Nights.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 21
Here's a preset with Scene Controller 1 configured for tuning changes, Ext Ctrl 1 as a whole-step-up bender. Scenes 1-3 use Advanced Whammy, scenes 4 & 5 use (one voice of) Dual Chromatic for higher damping on the last two tuning changes, possible because Control and Master Pitch are separate parameters in those two types. Other blocks are from the "Later Eddie" factory preset.

Man, i was thinking about the virtual capo and if it could be used on this song and low an behold I searched and found this threat. OUTSTANDING job on this!!! I have to check the preset out. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom