V9, Red Wire, PEQ, Reverb - Fender Deluxe/JCM 800

Scott Peterson said:
Reworked with the 'magic' -3db down upon rendering the IR's... seems to work some mojo into them. :D

The Marshall definitely seems to have a little more to it here. Nice work. I must have missed the 'magic' -3db down settings, can you elaborate? Do you just mix the IR wav down -3db before converting to sysex and sending to the Axe?

-Chris

odsska said:
Scott Peterson said:
Reworked with the 'magic' -3db down upon rendering the IR's... seems to work some mojo into them. :D

The Marshall definitely seems to have a little more to it here. Nice work. I must have missed the 'magic' -3db down settings, can you elaborate? Do you just mix the IR wav down -3db before converting to sysex and sending to the Axe?

-Chris

Chris,

I apologize. I know all these 'bits' get mixed up across different threads (and forums) for me too.

Stratoblaster posted up on a thread that he was rendering his IR's at -3db in the Red Wire Reaper file where you can create your own custom IR mixes. I use that same method to mix IR's, same file (though I've tweaked it for me obviously).

Originally the directions said to render the IR's at as close to 0db as you can get without going into the red. That turns out to be -0.1db. Stratoblaster, on a whim, tried to render them at -3db. AlbertA's utility, which you use to create the syx file from the rendered mixed IR wav file, normalizes the file before it coverts, so you lose no volume at all in the Axe-FX.

The final thing is less compressed, less saturated, less peaky and just 'much gooder' IMHO. Stratoblaster agrees. I've sent the same A/B test to Mike at Red Wire and he hears it too. I don't know why it works, perhaps Fletcher Munson?, but damn... who cares. Time to run some gigs with this, I am happy. Much gooder* indeed! :D

(*In the midwest, we have a peculiar way to talking and my kids say this all the time... so I am borrowing it). :D

Thanks for the clarification. I don't use Reaper at the moment, but I'll check it out soon. Could I get the same result from taking a wav file generated from the mixIR app and dropping the level -3db before using AlbertA's utility to convert?

(*In the midwest, we have a peculiar way to talking and my kids say this all the time... so I am borrowing it). :D

I'm from Indiana originally, so I completely understand. :cool:

Scott, I noticed that the reverb's Early Level on this patch is much softer than the (main) reverb level.

I understood (but I could be wrong!) that the trick for the mic ambience/air reverb is to set the early level higher than the main level (Radley's OP in the reverb thread).

I know that it's the final tone that counts, I'm just curious.

Back
Top Bottom