v9.02 - Full Track (Metal) + Plexi2 Clip + Patch

xpenno

Power User
Hey I just finsihed mixing a song that I wrote quite a while back and indeed posted a clip of on here somewhere with a much older firmware. Anyway I redid the guitar parts with 9.02 as I was so happy with the new tones I was getting and thought I'd post the song here for people to have a listen to a comment on. Let me know what you think?

http://www.eclecticbluemusic.co.uk/axefx/902/13thfloor.mp3

Also a couple of people asked me to upload my v9.01 preset from an earlier post, this is not the exact patch as I didn't save those but this is my take on a plexi with a room verb but fairly dry. I added a bigger verb and delay later on which are also included in the patch.

Clip

http://www.eclecticbluemusic.co.uk/axefx/902/plexi.mp3

Patch

http://www.eclecticbluemusic.co.uk/axef ... 02Vint.syx

Enjoy ;)

Hey xpenno, nice plexi tone. Maybe you can help me out. I'm typically a marshall guy but I have had trouble getting a good sound from any of the marshall amps in the axe. For example, your preset is extremely bright and harsh when I play my strat through it (looks like your playing a paul- so I am considering that you may have a little more brightness dialed in than a strat would need) - I have been using an eq and cutting hi's as low as 3k (blocking) before the amp, bright switch off (on all models) and even dialing out some hi's with the hi cut parameter (down to as low as 3-4k), other wise I get a real metalic sounding hi end - harsh and definitely not like anything I have experienced in even the brightest marshalls. This is true across the board for me and the axe - regardless of cabs and even without a cab into a real cab - although it may be a little less objectionable. I can fix it and get good tones but my presets typically don't look anything like what other people are getting. I have noticed that I can roll off my tone control and it minimises the need for these extreme frequency cuts. My question is, are you rolling back on your guitar tone to get your sound? Maybe any strat players out there can tell me if they find it necesary to roll back the tone knob in order to get this treble thing under control. I have found this problem to more pronounced with 9.02. I appreciate any advice you can offer.

guitarmike said:
Hey xpenno, nice plexi tone. Maybe you can help me out. I'm typically a marshall guy but I have had trouble getting a good sound from any of the marshall amps in the axe. For example, your preset is extremely bright and harsh when I play my strat through it (looks like your playing a paul- so I am considering that you may have a little more brightness dialed in than a strat would need) - I have been using an eq and cutting hi's as low as 3k (blocking) before the amp, bright switch off (on all models) and even dialing out some hi's with the hi cut parameter (down to as low as 3-4k), other wise I get a real metalic sounding hi end - harsh and definitely not like anything I have experienced in even the brightest marshalls. This is true across the board for me and the axe - regardless of cabs and even without a cab into a real cab - although it may be a little less objectionable. I can fix it and get good tones but my presets typically don't look anything like what other people are getting. I have noticed that I can roll off my tone control and it minimises the need for these extreme frequency cuts. My question is, are you rolling back on your guitar tone to get your sound? Maybe any strat players out there can tell me if they find it necesary to roll back the tone knob in order to get this treble thing under control. I have found this problem to more pronounced with 9.02. I appreciate any advice you can offer.

Firstly I don't play a lot of strat so I'm perhaps not the best person to advise however I do have an ESP Strat copy at home and will give it a blast tonight to check my findings. I think in the past i've flicked it over to the neck pickup to try and remove the highs, let me have a play and I'll get back to you.

Spence

A great tone again. I love the Plexi2.

The difference on the Axe-Fx between SC's and HB's is always significant. It does get bright with SC's, which isn't that strange with Bright on, plus those Treble and Presence settings.

Some serious filtering/eq-ing going on in that patch, man. I get similar results by using the lowcut in the Amp params (100Hz, I do that with all amps) and a PEQ right after the cab (blocking at 129 Hz and 71 kHz).

yek said:
A great tone again. I love the Plexi2.

The difference on the Axe-Fx between SC's and HB's is always significant. It does get bright with SC's, which isn't that strange with Bright on, plus those Treble and Presence settings.

Some serious filtering/eq-ing going on in that patch, man. I get similar results by using the lowcut in the Amp params (100Hz, I do that with all amps) and a PEQ right after the cab (blocking at 129 Hz and 71 kHz).

I don't really class the EQ'ing here as serious, with the new firmware I am finding that the results I hear from the Axe are much more like a real amp with a real cab and a real mic so my patches are now starting to reflect the sort of EQ settings (aside from the filter before the amp) that I would usually perform whilst mixing a song so that they fit in with a band mix better. The filter before the amp is just to tighten things up as I was never sure where exactly the lowcut on the amp sat and if it was always before the preamp or whether it depends on where you have the tonestack location etc.... If I use a filter I know that it's always before the amp and it works for me :cool:

I'd love to have a look at that JCM patch in the other thread as well. ;-)

yek said:
I'd love to have a look at that JCM patch in the other thread as well. ;-)

So would I! ;)

Since there was no editor for this FW version at the time everything was done from the front of the Axe. I didn't save anything as I just did simple tweaks thinking I could get back there easily. I had a quick play last night and couldn't in the time I had to mess. I should have a bit more time tonight to play and when I get there I share the patch :)

Back
Top Bottom