V8 and V9 Patches on V7

RossE

Inspired
I've been skirting the edges of Axe Edit .317 accepted use on my Axe II with 9.02 installed. Seems I finally over did it and began seeing weirdness I attribute to likely corruption. Patches reverting back to previous states after an apparent successful saves. Patch levels changing from one power up to the next. Anyway, I can't live with flakiness so I reverted to V7 fw, plus re-installed Axe Edit .317 and the usb driver. Hoping for a clean start. All seems good to this point, but I had some v8 and v9 based patches I would like to pull in to v7. The newer patches won't even load via Axe Edit. They appear and then disappear after saving. I know v7 is missing amps, parameters, etc..., but I just want to load newer patches and then clean them up to work properly in v7.

Anyone know if there is a way?

You may be able to run two different versions of AE that are appropriate for the firmware and visually/manually adjust the parameters from one to the other and then save it. However I don't remember if all the V9 parameters are supported in the latest AE. Some parameters are obviously not available from one version the other.

axe edit works with FW 7 not any higher until the new version is released.
Roll back to FW 7 to use axe edit or use FW 9 with front panel only

Gents I do appreciate the responses, but I am very aware of the Axe Edit version to firmware support limitations and issues. Let me repeat the core of my question.

I have some v8 and v9 based patches I would like to pull back in to v7. The newer patches won't even load via Axe Edit. They appear and then disappear after saving. I know v7 is missing amps, parameters, etc..., but I just want to load the newer patches and then clean them up to work properly in v7. Anyone know if there is a way?

I don't know if this could work, but what about changing the version in the global settings and then exporting a preset via midi dump (no AE)?

Gents I do appreciate the responses, but I am very aware of the Axe Edit version to firmware support limitations and issues. Let me repeat the core of my question.

I have some v8 and v9 based patches I would like to pull back in to v7. The newer patches won't even load via Axe Edit. They appear and then disappear after saving. I know v7 is missing amps, parameters, etc..., but I just want to load the newer patches and then clean them up to work properly in v7. Anyone know if there is a way?

I understood but maybe my response wasn't clear, sorry. Slightly different approach: Get the version of AE that supports firmware 7 and load a similar preset or set it from scratch. On your AxeFx with V9 load your preset and visually set the common parameters to your AE session and save it. Tedious no doubt. One thing to note is that values for the same parameter mapped differently from version to version to better map to the actual amp. For instance, MV set 5 on one version might map to 9 on a later version.

Ideally a piece of software to convert the SYSEX files between versions and would default missing parameters, would be tits.

Last edited:
Thanks bobby_g and GiRa. I ended up taking a similar approach to your's bobby_g. I did have the patches in question save to local on my laptop. Axe Edit .317 would open and display those patches, you just could not save them to the Axe II hw. I opened the patches up in Axe Edit and used a screen capture utility to capture the v9.02 settings in the GUI. Then I manually applied those setting to the v7 blocks. It took a while, but wasn't too bad. So far I'm liking the results. Your point about the values mapping differently between versions is a good one. The method I used should have accounted for that.

To use Newer Patches in FW7 you can load them if they have that Amp and Cab.
Ideally you would want to Reset the Amp.
Generally you can select a Different Amp and then go Back to the Original Amp from the Patch.
Upon Selecting an Amp the AxeFX II loads the "Default" values for the Advanced Stuff, your Bass, Mid, Treble, etc. will remain intact.
I generally do this procedure whenever I upgrade to Newer Firmwares.
Sometimes you have to do this for Drive Blocks, etc. as well if they do not sound right.

Not sure about the Patches stored in FW9 if they would load properly or not.

Back
Top Bottom