V6 with Humbuckers

kev

Inspired
I've been trying to dial in patches with my LP Custom with Voodoo 59's. The bottom end is very splatty and not defined. I loved 5.07. It was so easy to dial in and felt solid, round, tight, and punchy in the low end and chimey and seperated in the upper end. My neck PU is almost useless with V6.
V6 feels more flat and less defined around the strings.

I'm trying every tweak and setting but I thought V6 was supposed to save us from tweaking. Really, V5.07 needed much less tweaking for me. I have done a complete reset and reinitialized the amps in my patches and started over. I've turned the gain way down and the master up and vice versa. I can hear the power amp working well and it does sound good but it still sounds like everything is over saturated.

I've had the Axe II from early on and had a Standard before that so I've been through every firmware update and I'm really good at dialing in tones. It just seems that some updates over time have had a tight low end and others have been soggy and loose. To me, V6 just isn't very solid in the low end. Not giving up though.

I dial in my patches through my headphones with my Axe plugged into a mixer. I always start with my Les Paul since it's my main axe.
I've done it this way for a while and it always translates very well to my guitar cabs live and my recordings. I know my headphones well and just need a little volume tweaking across the patches for leveling when I plug in to my cabs. Now I haven't been to rehearsal to plug into my cabs yet so I can't comment on how it sounds through those yet but my headphone mix is telling me what I'm describing above.

There will be a ton of suggestions but I've read a lot here and tried them all. It just isn't as tight to me. Turning up the damping is about the only thing that tightens it up for me. Never had to touch it in 5.07.

Are most of these amps dialed in using single coil type guitars?

Anyone else hear this or is it just me? I know it's there, just wish I didn't have to tweak so much to try to get there. I've heard some nice recordings posted.

After rehearsals start again next week, I'll have a better idea of how it sounds at volume.

i too started over with the amps in each of my patches. but i didn't try to return to a 5.xx or any other firmware sound. i just dialed it in for what is available to me now. it's the best it's ever sounded and i haven't done anything too different. have you tried the low cuts on the amp page? i do this for most of my distortion tones and it helps a lot.

I've had the opposite experience. I didn't find a lot of stock presets that sounded good in 5.07 with my Schecter Hellraiser which has EMG 81-7 humbuckers. After I loaded 6.0 almost all of the first 50 presets sounded great to me on the same guitar. FWIW

Opposite for me too. This is by far the most tame I've ever heard the lowend. I'm able to use amps that I haven't been able to use since my ultra due to low end issues. Eg. Rectos, shiva and über

I find in doing a lot LESS low end scooping and modifying than before.
Maybe just a low cut like chrisallen said i like it at around 80hz. That's about it.

I am a humbucker guy by and large.
Use pickups that are in the PAF range and slightly hotter on my axes:

WCR Godwood (b)/Crossroads (n) on my Jaros chambered LP style doublecutaway
McCarty stock pickups in McCarty Trem.
Gibson 57 PAF's in my ES 335

Am still making my way through the first 50 stock presets.
I will say that there seems to be more richness and gain on many of the stock amp presets, but the Fender cleans, for instance, are as pristine as
you want them to be. No low end issues of note.

Am very happy with what I am hearing in V6 and each guitar and its character comes through nicely.
Overall I find V6 to provide more real tube crunchiness, sponginess, and nuance.
I actually thought 5.07 was kind of nondescript on many stock amp preset settings.
The ODS Lead is now awesome. it was boring as he11 before.

I do think I read that Cliff uses a PRS CU22 if I am not mistaken as one of the main guitars in his studio.

Last edited:
In this order that are my hottest(read high output) guitars

-->G&L Invader
-->PRS Santana

When I ported my Smooth patch to V.6 I was instantly lost and had same experience with a bit flubby low end( and numerous other issues).

But point is that the V6 reacts like the real amp.So I digged out my old notes on Mark IIC+( not the Mark V setting of the same) and --> WOW 97 % there immediately.Just main difference is that I need to give it a bit more volume to sound correct

my loose suggestion is to dial in by your knowledge(and better your ears) rather then port a V.5XX patch

my 2 cents

Roland

I find 6 much easier too! For me, for the first time ,resetting the amp block and starting from scratch , every amp i use sounded good and twisting knobs just honed in the sweet spot easily! had patches I like better than ever with relatively minor effort! I did reset the cab block yesterday on a couple presets and retweak to the same settings ,and it seemed to tighten up some, wound up resetting cabs on all my presets! was worth the time to me! I Love It!!

Back
Top Bottom