V5 overwhelming low mids on higher gain amps

Q: how are you setting up the JCM800? With the MV lowered to about 5.00 it's screaming with gain and harmonics here.

What IR's are you guys using?

Just using the default jcm800 patch here, the master is at 5 by default, I would use this patch as a low gain blues solo type tone, even with the drive block turned on.
Not much gain and sustain even with the preamp gain right up. Seems strange seeing as its a popular metal amp.

There are several amp sims that are giving me a problem so that's why I tried the global eq first. There is the graphic eq in each amp block but I have never been a fan of graphic eqs. Not precise enough. I much prefer the parametric which I can find exactly the frequencies I want to deal with rather than the compromise of the graphic & the effect it has on neighboring frequencies that aren't a problem. I REALY wish we had the choice of having a graphic or parametric eq in both the amp block & global eq. I would much prefer that to a new amp sim!!

Just using the default jcm800 patch here, the master is at 5 by default, I would use this patch as a low gain blues solo type tone, even with the drive block turned on.
Not much gain and sustain even with the preamp gain right up. Seems strange seeing as its a popular metal amp.
Almost everyone who uses it for metal has some sort of overdrive pedal in front. On its own it doesn't have much gain and sustain.

This is an issue I've noticed since v1. I haven't posted on it as I'm an amp and cab user and I just assumed it's partly that the Axe is designed more around using cab sims. The thing is I could get some control of it but I found what would happen is once I got the low mids down enough that the low notes were tight, I'd lose too much body in higher notes. (I'm talking high gain stuff here)

This has been improving with each firmware update. The low mid issue is still there for me but seems to be getting more offset by the thickening of the high notes if that make any sense. Enabling me to pull those low mids down and retain juicyness in the high notes. I haven't worked with v5 much yet but it seems there's more improvement in that direction from what I've heard so far. v4 and v5 have made some wonderful improvements in high notes for me.

What works best for me is a PEQ before the amp block to pull some of the 125-250 range down. EQ after the amp doesn't change the amount of gain happening in that range in the preamp section, just makes it kinda less noticable.

I will have to try the PEQ before the amp block but it has been sounding much better lowering 220hz just enough to balance it with the rest of the overall sound. Too much in that frequency range really bothers me. Too little & it sounds weak & hollowed out. I have also been lowering the very high frequencies, around 12k, to simulate the way the speaker tab in the amp block used to do with the high end.

notalemming -

just for the record (apologies if you posted this specific info) but what model/make amplifier and speakers are you listening through? Guitar you are using? Can you also post up your preset .syx file that you are having issues with. Best of all would be a good accurate recording of what you are hearing. Lots of good ears on this forum, as well as experts who can spot parameter settings that may be a bit out of whack ( and there are a TON of parameters, right?).

To chime in; I'm doing the same (cutting 250 and 500 in global EQ about -3.5db) to get more clarity out of the presets. Using an SS amp + 1960A cab with SD SH1 and JB humbuckers.

Back
Top Bottom