V10 when to compress? Mr. Petrucci...

kippiejr

Inspired
Ok vets. I have always compressed (CPR) first out. As most of the presets that use (CPR) it is first out...

On JP's real pedal board at rig, compressor is in loop 4. I know it is midi and just because it is in loop 4 does not mean it is last used unless....?

But Drive is in loop 1, Phase in loop 2, Flanger in loop 3 and compressor in loop 4. In the Axess midi looper, I don't believe you can reassign order of the loops. With this in mind, if he goes to any of loop 1-3 then he is compressing after those effects. Unless when he goes to those effects loop 4 is off. And that very well might be.

I. e...So lets say one of his many leads uses Loop 1 and Loop 4 then he is compressing after the drive pedal. I think you would want to comp your lead. But maybe not?

I have not tried comping after effects before AMP, so I was just wondering before I try... in the AXE FX II that is....

JLP

I only compress leads or cleans, would not compress rhythm tone usually as it doesn't have enough dynamic as it is. Maybe a little comp in the low mids to tame palm mutes.

The real pedal board comp in JP's rig is before the amp at all times. First in the chain if I recall correctly. Same thing on his Axe-FX II presets.

Adam,
Yes always before the AMP
The Comp John uses is in Loop 4.. Can only be first if it is the only one used. Unless Axess lets you reassign loop order, which I don't think it does..

see pick..

Attachments

• newgear9.jpg
    newgear9.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 105
Adam,
Yes always before the AMP
The Comp John uses is in Loop 4.. Can only be first if it is the only one used. Unless Axess lets you reassign loop order, which I don't think it does..

see pick..

Kippiejr, unless I'm mistaken, I think Adam Cook has actually worked with Petrucci in some capacity.

You are correct about the Axess midi looper (GRX4) I have the same switcher, you cannot reassign the order of the loops. As for the compressor I believe he pretty much uses it for cleans, just to tame them a bit.
It’s nice to see what the other guy is up too and even be influenced by it, but don’t get obsessed by it, use what works for you.
I have seen John play with his big racks with Dream Theater and have also seen him once or twice using just guitar(BFR), Mesa Mark IV, 4x12 Mesa cab and a delay in the loop for a little slap back (Boss I believe) and in the end he still sounds like John Petrucci.

John

Hello,
Don't get me wrong, not at all do I want to sound like him. I was just wondering about CPR order and if he compressed after pre amp effects. But the CPR is most definitely in loop 4..And if only cleans that makes sense.

Another Mystery: look at any shot or video of any of his MARK V amps. The output is at 11 and the solo knob is maxed. Now if the solo knob is engaged this would almost be a wide open setting and to drastic for a solo boost. So, either it is not engaged and he likes to "look" maxed out or something is modded or ?. I have a Mark V and tried this setting and it almost pealed paint from the walls...lol

just curious...

JLP

Last edited:
Hello,
Don't get me wrong, not at all do I want to sound like him. I was just wondering about CPR order and if he compressed after pre amp effects. But the CPR is most definitely in loop 4..And if only cleans that makes sense.

Another Mystery: look at any shot or video of any of his MARK V amps. The output is at 11 and the solo knob is maxed. Now if the solo knob is engaged this would almost be a wide open setting and to drastic for a solo boost. So, either it is not engaged and he likes to "look" maxed out or something is modded or ?. I have a Mark V and tried this setting and it almost pealed paint from the walls...lol

just curious...

JLP

LOL... That is awesome.

At the risk of getting flamed, I had wondered when I saw them on this last tour if the mesa amps and cabs were out front for display but things were all axe fx behind the scenes. I can't remember now as it was over a year ago, but feel like I remember noticing something fishy about the amp / cab set up. (To be clear, I can't imagine that that is really the case, it was more of a "what if" musing.)

Lol,
I know the cabs and heads are dummies out front... But if you look at the Mesa videos or the Maddi rig breakdown videos or any for that matter. That darn Solo knob is pegged...

Ask Maddi over at the EBMM forum anything that you want to ask him. He is a true gentlemen. His login is Tekwerk. He uses the same login over at the JP forum but that forum is locked down.

Here is a link to a page where he was talking with us. I PM'ed him and he got back with me in regards to some questions I had about my JP6 guitar setup. Link

Hello,

just curious...

JLP
This same thing came up in another thread and I believe someone said the level is being controlled elsewhere in the chain.

Can't be controlled volume wise elsewhere, It only has on/off capabilities that can be controlled via function. Unless he backs off the over all volume with a volume pedal, but why? There are numerous other ways to do that...

Can't be controlled volume wise elsewhere, It only has on/off capabilities that can be controlled via function. Unless he backs off the over all volume with a volume pedal, but why? There are numerous other ways to do that...
Would not surprise me if it is being controlled by the Axe Fx as opposed to using the boost function on the Mark V. As you said its either on or off so whatever it's set to thats it. Doing it through the Axe Fx will not only give you a boost per preset if desired, and most important not locked into one setting, different for every preset. There again through the Axe Fx it can be done a number of ways, simple as just adjusting the presets output or put in a null filter.
Just a guess: but I don't think he uses that boost function on the Mark V.

John

Something else to keep in mind John has been using his cabs off stage covered in blankets he really does not need a boost to speak of FOH can control it

Yeah I agree, He does not use it as boost and maybe not all. It is just weird that most of the vids and pic that knob is pegged. And as a Mark V owner you can't set it that way and use it....lol

Back
Top Bottom