V10 TUBEOMETER

kippiejr

Inspired
Been a TUBE guy for 35+ years. I have given the AFX FX II a 98% there rating.. Anybody else?

GENRE: 80 metals.. a la Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, Metallica...

Please chime in with rating and style....

Inquiring minds want to know

This is just my take on it:

I've always perceived the Axe II from low to mid 90's% on the way to being 100% like a tube amp. With the last two FW updates it has brought it up a few more hefty notches in terms of, "feel in the hands" and obtaining the, "in the room" sound. I like the more polished sound in v.9.02 and prior, but have been surely but slowly gravitating to the more raw/natural sounding amp tone(s) the Axe now gives us with V.10. Polishing and processing can come in after the, "basic amp/cab setup" in the virtual chain... like in a real chain of processing. The tools are in the Axe to do it.:smiley_simmons:

... I'm also really digging the new smilies! And they are 100% realer!:encouragement:

Tube amps aren't consistent. I'll take the consistency of the Axe over the 0.005% difference in "realness" every time.

Tube amps aren't consistent. I'll take the consistency of the Axe over the 0.005% difference in "realness" every time.

I've been playing tube amps for a long long time (40 some years).. mostly Marshall's and Fenders. Consistency is key for me.. It most always sounds the same, tubes not so much. Plus you CAN CRANK it(virtually).. tube amps, not in any venue I play in

Now with V10.0, I finally blew out a tube in my AXE FX-II.Wait, no that can't be.... I am amazed that I will never have to think about that again. Never will I have to tap the tubes to find who went microphonic on me. Never again - No $295 re-tube and bias bills, not to mention everything else that can go wrong in tubeville. I am feeling like we are up on the 95-96 mark now - That is compared to a tube amp on it's best day BTW. On the other hand, a tube amp can easily drop into the 50-60 range when all the stars do not align - The Axe, it just won't go there. Consistency is what hits the mark for me here.

Like the OP V10.xx to me is 98% that of a real tube amp. The only reason it's not 100% is because it's not using tubes :lol seriously though I think it's so close now especially with respect to the feel and cut I don't know how it could get any better.

Tbh, as a largely silent forum member I've been wanting to say that the Axe II surpasses many tube amps since the release of V10.

The problem now is very simple to state - how te hell do you manage, sort, tweak & utilise so many incredible tones??? And its a nice problem to have :)

To paraphrase my comment in another thread, a tube amp may be good at what it does but it can't do the other 100+ amps in the Axe-FX. Also can't do the FX, switching, in the box recording, etc.

I ain't going back!

I think you people are crazy. I've sat with the both the amp and the Axe-Fx in Cliff's lab and been struck dumb as to which might be which.
I simply can't imagine anyone being any better than anyone else at guessing which was which.

I don't have much experience with tube amps in the wild, though what I've heard either I didn't care for, or was too loud for me to appreciate. I was very impressed with FW6.0 ....and while some things were gained through 9.0, the feel element seemed to pull a hair back. 10 has got it back, plus.

Also, the high cut in the cab block works like how I thought it was supposed to work. Before, turning it down past 8k made the tone stuffy, too or not the right kind of attenuation I guess, but now I can turn it down to below 5k and hear them mids without all the shhhhhh. I go farther than that by turning down the power amp high cut, and it gets even better. The treble gets even rounder, and not at all wimpy.

And the pick attack is, like, under the tone, even up in the treble, without doing any weird cab configurations and stuff. Especially after the treble cuts, that's stupendous.

Lastly, the overall tone seems more integrated. If I add some depth, it's a part of the body of the tone, rather than sounding like an eq bump.

I tried FW10 a couple weeks ago, thought I had something, then went back on it, back to 9.0 . Last night I climbed back on, and just this afternoon am getting some ki-ller tones - with only drive/amp/cab - trying only one amp so far.

I want to mention that I don't play vintage anything, I use a lot of gain. The vintage guys are pleased, and that's good, but I haven't seen a lot of gainers giving the same praise.

Last edited:
Tube amps....WTF//// I wish you guys would leave that shit way behind...what the fuck ... you have better sounds in your hands NOW

really does fuck with my head when people go on about old 'valve' amps.... you are all way past that era... that technology you have bought into the future and still hark back

I had a Full Bradshaw Rig, CAE 3+se, VHT, Bongers/Marshalls..... gone to the big ebay sales in the sky

You have the most advanced, complete, guitarification ever... use your ears and hands and just MOVE on ..

love peace and guitarification...

Back
Top Bottom