v10 Level settings now at -12db - curious?

GuitarMan86

Power User
Just wondering the thought process behind this setting (which seems to be across all v10 presets) being at -12db. Was there a reason for this?

I didn't know if this is a good starting point rather than 0db etc. Just a question

I am sure it is done to assure that every patch has sufficient headroom. So that your patches are safe from clipping, in case you add a boost, increase the master and so on.

I noticed this too last night and mused about it on another thread (I just wanted to verify it was intended behavior)...I'm thinking that it's due to the increased dynamic range in v10, and that -12dB is a better overall starting level for non master volume amps with the Master at 10. A master volume amp with the Master ~3 needs to be boosted several dB to get the same overall perceived volume, and leaves some overall headroom. -12db was always my starting level for presets, so it's even easier now....

Last edited:
Which level setting are you referring to? Amp level?

Sorry...yes, amp level seems to be defaulted to -12db now.

I noticed this too last night and mused about it on another thread (I just wanted to verify it was intended behavior)...I'm thinking that it's due to the increased dynamic range in v10, and that -12dB is a better overall starting level for non master volume amps with the Master at 10. A master volume amp with the Master ~3 needs to be boosted several dB to get the same overall perceived volume, and leaves some headroom. -12db was always my starting level for presets, so it's even easier now....

yeah, I suppose it does makes sense for clipping and also default settings for MV amps etc. Just taking a little of getting used to now going through my presets etc....resetting everything and trying out new amps. fun times ;)

I am sure it is done to assure that every patch has sufficient headroom. So that your patches are safe from clipping, in case you add a boost, increase the master and so on.

yep, good point.... agreed as I was noting all the MV amps etc. I am liking the new view on the AMP block page showing the setting to. nice

None of my levels are at -12. Are all levels supposed to be at -12?

When you fully reset the AMP block by double tapping Bypass the Level now defaults to -12dB. If you only reset the block by deselecting/reselecting the AMP block the Level control won't change from where you have it set.

I love this new default setting since every time I start to work on a patch that's the first thing I do. If I want to use a Marshall Plexi amp I don't have to crank the master volume anymore it's already done for you. It also makes it easier to keep your levels equal between a high gain amps and the low gain amps. Makes sense to me I guess.

Back
Top Bottom