UYI - Slash Sound - FW18b7

Liquid22

Inspired
Hi Guys!

GREAT DAY !! Thanks Cliff for FW18 !!! Do you all think I nailed it ?

As I wrote in other threads, I tweaked for the UYI Sound of Slash since I bought the ULTRA years ago. Thought I nailed It a few times, BUT MAN.... with FW18 and the AFD100 it blows me away.

Sorry for my sloppy and fast playing, but I'm so excited about the new Sound.

Last edited:
Slash did not use AFD100 (or the amp afd is based on) for UYI album. In my experience brit 800 mod is a much better choice for it.

The actual AFD amp has 2 modes and FAS modelled them both.
The AFD100 1 model in the axe is based on the first mode - a modded JCM800 2203, not the original amp used for the AFD album, so its right for UYI tone

Last edited:
The AFD100 1 model in the axe is based on the first mode - a modded JCM800 2203, not the original amp used for the AFD album, so its right for UYI tone

Oh wow, that's news to me. Great to know that. I thought AFD100 was all about their first album.

... yah, and that's the great thing. With the Axe you can play the #34 so to say.

G3 finally opened the way to come very close to the Slash Tone. Together with Cab Pack 8 you got all you need inside the Axe (although Clark use a TV). Different to what a lot of people tell about Slash using always V30s, you have do differ his Studio Sound and Equipment from his Tour Sound and Equipment (even in the UYI-Tour years). The G12M‐25 Greenbacks are very important to the record tone I think. So it's perfect that Clark did that Cab-Pack at the time FW 18b came out.

As I wrote: I chased this sound for more than 5 years now trying to get it real without any tone matching. With each new FW I thought: “That’s the missing puzzle piece, now I can nail that tone.” Things turned out differently, but over the years I find out some important tweaks and I think FW 18 is the key now. At the moment I’m trying out different cabs and combinations from Cab-Pack 8 (CK Brit TV SM57-SM57 F03 is a good candidate). As you know, changing the Cab means you have to re-tweak things at the Amp-Block, but hoping to find a new puzzle piece, too. So it’s kind of a time-consuming job, but at the end it will be worth it. I will share the preset here when I think it's all done and I can’t add anything more to it.

I posted the Audio, hoping I to get some feedback of what sounds still different to Slash’s UYI-Tone. If you spend hour after hour with tweaking, things start to sound all the same.
So any constructive feedback is welcome. :encouragement:

Last edited:
This is from the slash site:
SLASH: Equipment, Style, Techniques

I have no idea if its relevant for studio sound or the axe 2. I am actually getting my first axe 2 in a week or two and will dive in then. From below it looks like the Slash signature amp is basically a Silver Jubilee. I wonder at what times in the studio he chose to use the Jubilee vs the JCM.

SLASH is known for Gibson guitars and Marshall amps. Just as there is a Gibson signature guitar for SLASH, there is also a SLASH signature amp. At the end of 1998, the SLASH signature guitar was selling from $1800 to $3500 (case included), and the SLASH amp for under $900 (includes "snakeskin" cover). The SLASH amp was only manufactured in 1996, so it is not always easy to locate. For live appearances, the JCM SLASH Marshalls are used for a dirty sound. For the dirty tone, the SLASH recommended settings are: Presence: 7, Bass: 7, Mid: 4.5, Treble: 7, Output Master: 6, Lead Master: 10, Input Gain: 6.5. The JCM SLASH Marshalls are used for a clean sound, too, when modified with KT88 output tubes. The SLASH Marshall should be tuned this way for the clean tone (SLASH recommendations): Presence: 0, Bass: 9, Mid: 3, Treble: 5 1/2, Output Master: 10, Lead Master: 0, Input Gain: 4. The 2555 Silver Jubilee at 50 watts is used for the Heil Talk box. All tubes are groove tubes.

The studio amps are: Marshall 2555 with EL34 output tubes and the Marshall JCM 800 (modified) with 6550 output tubes. The signal is split with Bob Bradshaw custom splitter system. A little more on the SLASH signature amp: It is the first Marshall signature amp for any artist. The amp is based on the amp SLASH has sworn by since day one, the Jubilee 2555 head of 1987. Many great artists, including Hendrix, have sworn by Marshalls, but something unique about SLASH's playing style led the company to recognize him above other guitarists. Marshall has described SLASH as having a "...highly emotive yet fiery style, [that is] in many ways timeless". They recognize SLASH's style as having a retro 60s and 70s influence but always in a thoroughly modern style. The signature amp is a handwired all valve amp which marries the legendary roar of the 800 Marshall series power stage with a highly versatile pre-amp that that boasted a footswitchable "LeadMaster" control which effectively makes the 2555 a two channel head. By increasing the preamps gain when activated, this feature allows the user to switch back and forth lead and rhythm at the touch of a foot. The amp's versatility is enhanced by a Series effect loop and a push/pull function on the input gain control which, when pulled out, injects a subtle but effective distorted edge to the amp's rhythm tone. A high output (100 watts)/low output (50 watts) switch adds even further to the amp's flexibility and already wide tonal palette.​

Yeah.... look at the site, its pretty old.. I remember checking this site out in the late 90's (damn slash pics took forever to load) and it really hasn't changed since, which is good for this topic, I guess. I wouldn't worry too much about his first sig amp. Just pretend they are talking about the silver jubilee. I am definitely going to check that model out with those settings when my axe arrives

I just checked on their mobile site and he is on the artist list. You had me going there for a second.. I was like oh my, has fractal snatched him away from Marshall now?

oh ok. yeah he's there, just not on the first page of artists. I had to look in "S", or scroll down to the 96th guitarist... what?

Back
Top Bottom