Using two guitars simultaneously

yek

Contact Fractal for your Custom Title
In my band we sometimes invite guest players. It's nice to be able to connect the instrument of the player quickly and just play. The Axe-Fx can accomodate this: I have a preset especially for this purpose (dual guitars). Good to share.

One approach is to use the FXL block and use Input2 Left for the additional instrument. If FXL is not connected to Input on the grid it enables the signal from Input2 to enter the grid. But: using FXL disables Copy Out1 > Out2. I depend on Copy Out1 > Out2 to have separate FOH and monitor signals, so this is a no-go for me.

Luckily, there's an alternative: use two rows with isolated input routing.
  • Make sure that in I/O Input1 is set to Stereo.
  • Connect the additional instrument to Input1 Right (rear).
  • Use two separate rows. Start each one with an Amp. On their Advanced pages set Amp1 to use the left input (= front) and Amp2 to use the right input (= rear right).
  • Add cab and post-amp effects (if there are many you need an Ultra).

Notes:
  1. You don't have to use Amp blocks if your tone doesn't require one (piezo). A Mixer in the first column of each row will work too.
  2. This approach also works for using an acoustic guitar/piezo (rear Input1 Right) and electric guitar (front) simultaneously, if your amp can handle the ac/piezo signal through Output1.
  3. In this scenario everything is summed at the output and goes through Output1. If you need separate output signals (Out1 / Out2), use the FXL-method and make sure it doesn't connect to Output on the grid.
  4. Setting Input1 to Stereo (default is Left) in I/O may impact other presets, because Amps are set to Sum L+R by default. Check your presets.
  5. Having two rows with amps and instruments may add some hiss to the signal.
  6. This method is nothing new but it deserves a little attention. ChrisAllen made a video: YouTube - Axe FX - 2 separate inputs using mixers
Have fun.

Last edited:
Very good write up Yek. Personally I use output 2 to feed a signal to my talkbox. So no separate FOH / monitoring for me unfortunately. Then again, it looks to me that, when I combine both of the above methods, I could have as many as 3 signals (2 guitars and a piezo) at the same time :idea :ugeek Thanks for the idea;)

i DID make a video :) i didn't know you could use a null filter though.

i gotta try that!

Awesome Yek you ARE the forum Yoda

Man.... so sorry to see your skin condition has returned, and as for that hat???

Although you look happy enough or is that a side effect of the medication for the skin condition???

Wait... I thought that the inputs in the back were line level, so wouldn't you need a DI box to plug a guitar into the back inputs?

Piezo is line level.

With other instruments you can use an Amp block or NullFilter or something equivalent to boost the signal level.

Ok, that makes sense. However, if you were to use a wireless and plugged it in to the back input, you would likely need a DI box to increase the instrument level to line level for the back input, correct?

Well, same answer. You can increase the incoming signal strength by using a block on the grid.
Whether this is good for the signal/noise ratio is another thing.

A DI could also work.

Ha! That's funny, I was just thinking about doing a patch setup for 2 guitars and here we are.
Way to go Yek! Thanks for the detailed explanation and the presets!

i did one too a couple of weeks ago. my big concern was if my ultra had enough processing power to make it work out. i ended up with 2 amps, 2 cabs, and a common delay and reverb setup. stereo inputs, with the cabinets panned hard left and right. i use this preset mostly for teaching, since it allows total separation between channels (so you know who's making the mistakes!)

i dont exactly remember but i think with this setup on my ultra i was around 80% on the cpu meter.

Hello Yek,

I try to use my Axe-Ultra with the Piezo in my Tom Anderson Strat, but Iam from germany and my english is not good!
Can you send me a patch to understand your treat!

Thank you,
regards Uwe

In my band we sometimes invite guest players. It's nice to be able to connect the instrument of the player quickly and just play. The Axe-Fx can accomodate this: I have a preset especially for this purpose (dual guitars). Good to share.

One approach is to use the FXL block and use Input2 Left for the additional instrument. If FXL is not connected to Input on the grid it enables the signal from Input2 to enter the grid. But: using FXL disables Copy Out1 > Out2. I depend on Copy Out1 > Out2 to have separate FOH and monitor signals, so this is a no-go for me.

Luckily, there's an alternative: use two rows with isolated input routing.
  • Make sure that in I/O Input1 is set to Stereo.
  • Connect the additional instrument to Input1 Right (rear).
  • Use two separate rows. Start each one with an Amp. On their Advanced pages set Amp1 to use the left input (= front) and Amp2 to use the right input (= rear right).
  • Add cab and post-amp effects (if there are many you need an Ultra).

Notes:
  1. You don't have to use Amp blocks if your tone doesn't require one (piezo). A Mixer in the first column of each row will work too.
  2. This approach also works for using an acoustic guitar/piezo (rear Input1 Right) and electric guitar (front) simultaneously, if your amp can handle the ac/piezo signal through Output1.
  3. In this scenario everything is summed at the output and goes through Output1. If you need separate output signals (Out1 / Out2), use the FXL-method and make sure it doesn't connect to Output on the grid.
  4. Setting Input1 to Stereo (default is Left) in I/O may impact other presets, because Amps are set to Sum L+R by default. Check your presets.
  5. Having two rows with amps and instruments may add some hiss to the signal.
  6. This method is nothing new but it deserves a little attention. ChrisAllen made a video: YouTube - Axe FX - 2 separate inputs using mixers
Have fun.

Hello Yek,

I try to use my Axe-Ultra with the Piezo in my Tom Anderson Strat, but Iam from germany and my english is not good!
Can you send me a patch to understand your treat!

Thank you,
regards Uwe

Preset is attached. I did not test it, but it should work.

Connect your electric to the Front input.
Connect your Piezo to the Rear Right input (Input1).
On the Ax-Fx set I/O > Audio > Input 1 Select to: Stereo.

My brother and I were experimenting with this a few days ago with great results. Your post pretty much covers where we found best results Yek. Great post! One more potential use for the Axe-FX.

yek said:

I had some time to mess with my brand new Axe and hooked it up with my HD 500.
JTV variax into HD via VDI. Inputs on HD set to mags on one side models on the other.
HD fed into input 1 on the ack of Ultra. Set input one to stereo as previously suggested.

Took the crystal echoes preset and totally changed it. Magnetics set to p rail, rail neck position into ac 30, chorus and delay into mixer panned hard left. Tapped off before the delay is the crystal pitch block into reverb. The crystal echoes part also goes to mixer and is mixed much lower an panned partway left.

On the HD i run. Variax acoustic 12 into tube comp and eq and delay it 20 ms. I set up a similar chrystal echoes/ reverb in paralel and rout that part way right while the dry acoustic is full right.

I need to get some mission pedals so i can bring the crystal level up and down where needed. Still needs some tweaking but sounds cool to me!

wow thanks this sounds like a great recipe for reamping 2 guitar tracks at once ?

Hey Yek, I'm following this guide exactly but not yielding the results I want... I give lessons and want to have the option of running two guitars at once, each guitar panned to its own studio monitor. My entire set up is the axe fx ultra > presonus FP10 > Mackie Mr8 mk2's that are connected to the main outputs of the FP10.

Any suggestions? I feel like I'm completely missing something here.

Thanks for your time!

Back
Top Bottom