Using the Ultra as an Effects Processor?

ctyelvis

I use my Ultra in my home studio. It's racked up and I use input 1 (on the front) to plug in my various instruments, then send them out of output 1 into my DAW.

What I'm trying to do is setup input and output 2 as an auxilary effects processor for grins and giggles in my DAW. Routing in the DAW is not the problem. I already have a Lexicon PCM-80 & 90 as well as an Eventide external boxes setup within the DAW and all's working fine. When I try to route the AFX the same way I can't seem to get any sound out of the Ultra.
I'm not trying to use the Ultra as a guitar processor (input/output 1) at the same time, I'm gonna use it as an effects processor. But if I use it as an insert effect, I could re-amp my pre-recorded, clean guitar. :)

What I'm doing...
in the I/O section:
Mode: I select Analog rear.
Audio: I have tried selecting stereo and left only
On the last setting in Audio, I have tried having "copy out1 to out2" off and on.

On the back of the Ultra, I use unbalanced and brand new, Mogami cables.
Still no luck.
Am I overlooking something?

Thanks in advance!
-Chris

You must put the FXL block (effects loop) in the grid to get signal through Input2 and Output2.

You also need the feedback send and return blocks. What enters the Input 2 jacks is present at the right side of the FXL block; what enters the left side of the FXL block is present at Output 2 jacks.

--[RTN]-[FXL]-[effects chain]-[SND]---

Set RTN mix to 100%. If you connect SND to the right side of the layout you'll also hear the processed signal at Output 1. Connect or leave a blank space as desired.

Bakerman said:
You also need the feedback send and return blocks. What enters the Input 2 jacks is present at the right side of the FXL block; what enters the left side of the FXL block is present at Output 2 jacks.

--[RTN]-[FXL]-[effects chain]-[SND]---

Set RTN mix to 100%. If you connect SND to the right side of the layout you'll also hear the processed signal at Output 1. Connect or leave a blank space as desired.

I'm not sure I follow? I'm using the Axe as just an effects processor right now with the 4 cable method and I didn't have to do anything like that, then again, I'm not using it in stereo.

CIMG0773.jpg

CIMG0780.jpg

All that's missing from the wiring is the MIDI to the pre-amp.

How exactly are you wiring it to your interface? Are you using instrument cables in and out and back to your PC? Are you wiring it in stereo?

I'm trying to use it as an external stereo effects unit in my DAW setup. I've tried using just one input or the stereo inputs (I/O #2).
I have not had a chance to go in and route stuff the way it's been recommended here.
I have to say, that would be a major pain in the ass to have to route EVERY patch, just to get it to come out of output #2.
Say I have output XLR 1 going to my DAW, the the 1/4" output 1 going to my DAW monitor set up (presonus Central station), then say I want output 2 to go to a stereo amp setup for jamming. I'd have to re-do every patch I have, just to send it out of output #2?

I have emailed Fractal, but don't get a response.
Maybe I'm using the wrong email address? (It's the ones on the main fractal web page, and also the one they use to confirm your order.)

That's funny. I've e-mailed them about tech support and getting a part to put on my Ultra and it got handled within 1 day of e-mail exchanges. You sure your e-mails aren't getting bounced?

What you're trying to do is a bit more complicated than I think I can figure out :lol:

JJ Rodriguez said:
I'm not sure I follow? I'm using the Axe as just an effects processor right now with the 4 cable method and I didn't have to do anything like that, then again, I'm not using it in stereo.

I'm pretty sure he wants to send a signal from DAW to Axe-FX Input 2 to apply some processing with the Axe-FX then have the result come out of Output 2 and go back to DAW. The send & return blocks are necessary to get the processed signal to the left of the FXL block so it can leave through Output 2. That's different than using In/Out 2 in the 4-cable method where you just place the FXL block and the signal goes Out 2 > external gear > In 2.

Back
Top Bottom