Using the Liquid Foot plus to control multiple devices simultaneously

rodzimguitar68

Fractal Fanatic
If you have a Fractal Audio Axe FX II, you know that each preset can store up to 8 scenes, allowing for you to pre-determine the effect combinations, and x/y states, thereby allowing complex changes to be made instantly by selecting the appropriate scene. The advantage of scenes vs. a completely different preset, is that dropout latency is minimized (but not completely eliminated in certain cases).

So, for instance, you could have overdrive, amp, cabinet, chorus, delay, and reverb effect blocks for the preset itself, and program which effects will be on or off for the beginning of the song, and make that scene 1, decide which effects should be on during the chorus, and make it scene 2, and then decide which effects should be on for the guitar solo, and make that scene 3.

Sounds simple enough, and logical enough, when using 1 Axe FX unit, right?

The LF system can be configured the same way, although the terminology being used to describe the different components in the system, more than any other factor, is perhaps what causes most newbies difficulty!

What I mean is this: It is easy to "get" the example of an Axe FX preset, and up to 8 scenes, so that you can plan your way through a song's structure - verse, chorus, bridge, solo, 2nd chorus, outro, or whatever.

The thing about the LF system is that a "song" is equivalent to an Axe FX preset. A LF preset, is equivalent to an Axe FX scene. Yes, it's basically THAT simple.

What the LF system allows a person to do, as in my case, where I'm using multiple effects units as one giant system, is to create "scenes", or combinations of effects on/off states, for an entire rack of gear.

So, it's as simple as this: My LF song, sends PC commands to every midi device in my rack. Now that each device is on the preset I will need for the song, I need to specify the effect on/off states of those devices, or send other control messages to change wet/dry mixes, or volume, etc. All of those decisions and messages, are programmed into a LF preset. I usually need anywhere from 1 to 8 (and sometimes 9 or 10) Liquid Foot presets to get through a song. Those are my "scenes" for the song, if you will.

Since my rack is comprised of 4 effects units, my options are greater than a simple Axe II with 8 scenes. Since the Axe won't send midi messages with each scene, I need the LF system to create "super scenes" so that my Axe FX, AND all of my other gear, are working as a unit, to yield the right effect on/off's and wet/dry mixtures.

So, once again, terminology is the stumbling block here:

Axe FX preset equals a LF Song

Axe Fx scene equals a LF preset.

Well, sort of....lol

There are many more ways to skin this cat, and that can be both, rewarding and refreshing, or painful and torturous. The more newbies I chat with or exchange help emails with, the more I see that the extreme power and customizability (not a word) of this device, can trip up a lot of otherwise technically-minded musicians.

It is definitely a product that is well-suited for a performing/gigging musician, who needs to control many devices simultaneously.

But I think it can frustrate users who really only control an Axe FX or a Kemper by themselves, only because, it is way overkill for such a simple task. In a way, it's like using a fighter jet, to learn how to fly a plane.

I spent $750 on my MFC Mk III, so I'm inclined to stick to changing scenes and programming with the MFC-Edit software. I know that Yek has that Mastermind controller going and people are going gaga, but unless there is a compelling reason, it is endless GAS-sing and hamster-wheels looking for the better mousetrap! Thanks for the inspiration though, it's good that people are trying new ideas :)

Back
Top Bottom