Using the FM9 I have noticed a tonal issue.

msg4life

So I usually wear headphones and play the FM9 with it plugged into the USB to tweak parameters. It would sound full and great. Then when I would unplug it from the USB the sound is thinner and has a different clarity. If anyone else has a FM9 please check it out. Firmware 5.01

So I usually wear headphones and play the FM9 with it plugged into the USB to tweak parameters. It would sound full and great. Then when I would unplug it from the USB the sound is thinner and has a different clarity. If anyone else has a FM9 please check it out. Firmware 5.01
Your request is extremely vague. Many of us (myself included) have been having excellent results with Firmware 5.01. It is most probable that this issue you are experiencing is due to something unique in your setup and/or the preset(s) that you're using.

Here are some things to start with:

Are you having this experience on factory presets? Or is on a preset that you created?

If it's on a factory preset, have you modified the preset? If yes, save the preset and post it here.

If it's a preset that you created, then save it and post it here.

No difference in sound with HP and USB plugged or unplugged

I have my headphones plugged into the Unit. I am using just the stock presets, #44 Brit-JVM 001 the distorted tones you can tell. I can also hear the difference when I am on the Gbl preset page and the Scenes page. The Glbl page with the list of amps sounds thicker and fuller. As soon as I go to the scene page it thins out the sound. It's subtle, but I can hear it.

I also cannot record the difference because as soon as I plug it in it sounds great. I will try XLR to DI. With USB plugged and unplugged then do a wave comparison.

I have my headphones plugged into the Unit. I am using just the stock presets, #44 Brit-JVM 001 the distorted tones you can tell. I can also hear the difference when I am on the Gbl preset page and the Scenes page. The Glbl page with the list of amps sounds thicker and fuller. As soon as I go to the scene page it thins out the sound. It's subtle, but I can hear it.
This has never been reported and I do not experience it. We’ll need your recordings for any further help.

No chance it’s a faulty headphone connection?

This has never been reported and I do not experience it. We’ll need your recordings for any further help.

No chance it’s a faulty headphone connection?
Headphones are perfect. I can clearly hear the difference. I think I have that super primo hearing. But I will get the recording asap.

hxxps://whyp.it/tracks/143017/splice-fm9-scene-vs-gbl?token=hpZtS This is the sound clip the first half is the Scene and the Other half is global. Yes there is a slight volume difference but there is also a texture difference.

hxxps://whyp.it/tracks/143017/splice-fm9-scene-vs-gbl?token=hpZtS This is the sound clip the first half is the Scene and the Other half is global. Yes there is a slight volume difference but there is also a texture difference.
that is not subtle.

you're saying the volume drop is because of changing pages as well? i have never experienced this.

i don't know what the "global preset page" is. the list of presets when you page right from the Home screen? and is the Scene screen the main home screen?

The volume drop was from my side, the texture of the notes is what changes. The global page is first go to the preset for example this is the 044: Brit JVM001 then it lists the 6 scenes. Play your guitar with that page and listen carefully, then the right page 3 times to take you to the global presets and play again. Tell me if you hear a difference. To my ears the Global preset page sounds warmer and more tube like.

The volume drop was from my side, the texture of the notes is what changes. The global page is first go to the preset for example this is the 044: Brit JVM001 then it lists the 6 scenes. Play your guitar with that page and listen carefully, then the right page 3 times to take you to the global presets and play again. Tell me if you hear a difference. To my ears the Global preset page sounds warmer and more tube like.
Are you on an old firmware version, or is this a typo? 044 is Brit JVM 002, 043 is Brit JVM 001.

It sounds like you are changing presets or scenes within a preset.

Of course that will sound different because you're changing settings.

Your instructions don't really makes sense to me...

This person may just be struggling to explaining themselves.
Fwiw an audio clip is there if you swap in 'https' at the beginning; you can hear a tone shift for sure.
Is it really changing pages on the interface? I struggle to believe it, but I'll go try it on my FM9T just for fun.

In the meantime enjoy this. A real audiophile's spoof commentary on how weird people can get about tone in that community too.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom