Using the axefx2 as a vocal amp?

Larcher

Inspired
Is this possible? I've tried plugging my SM7B into the XLR in but there is no sound coming from it.

I have a presonus FireStudio

but when I plus my mic into that and try to record in cubase 5, it says error code : aa. (Probably because I recorded in 48.0khz?)

Get a preamp or a mixer. I sing through the AXE all day, but I'm coming in on my Mackie Onyx mixer's preamp. With a dynamic mic like an SM-57, you *could* use a hi-z to lo-z converter, but even that would sound like crap. Get a preamp. Some of the ART ones are decent for the money. Or a mixer, if you ant more versatility and pre-EQ.

Alright, will check it out.

I'm also building a home studio, so I'm guessing a mixer would be better ?

Yes, in that case it would be better - unless you have the dough for a really good preamp, like an Avatar, but you sound like you're just starting out, so a mixer's preamp would be fine.

It all depends, though: I record into a daw via a mixer 'cause it makes my life easier because I can do submixes (like, take 6 drum mics, pre-mix 'em down to stereo and record those two tracks - useful as I only have 8 channels of high quality analog to digital conversion (Apogee Rosetta 8, which rules!). But if I had the money for 8 Avatars (or more likely 4 of them plus some other boutique preamps) I'd use them whenever I was running 8 inputs or less - so it depends what you want to do. If it's just going to be you, singing, into a daw, buy a good preamp, and use the II's USB to send the signal straight into your DAW. That should be equally simple and god-sounding (though I have yet to use my II as a converted input to my DAW, so there's a little conjecture there on my part).

If you're only going to have 1 mic, there's no need for a mixer; you can just plug your mic preamp into the Axe-Fx's rear input. With this setup, your money can go more towards the quality of the preamp instead of a second A/D converter.

If you're only going to have 1 mic, there's no need for a mixer; you can just plug your mic preamp into the Axe-Fx's rear input. With this setup, your money can go more towards the quality of the preamp instead of a second A/D converter.

Das what I sed, dood! :)

I've tried plugging my SM7B into the XLR in but there is no sound coming from it.

how did you plug a microphone into the axefx xlr output? did you use a turnaround adaptor or something? you have to use the axe fx input to put the mic signal into the axe.

This is what I want to do. I only have one mic right now. But there is no sound coming from the mic.

how did you plug a microphone into the axefx xlr output? did you use a turnaround adaptor or something? you have to use the axe fx input to put the mic signal into the axe.

I plugged my mic into the "IN" XLR input of my axe-fx, in the back.

This is what I want to do. I only have one mic right now. But there is no sound coming from the mic.

I plugged my mic into the "IN" XLR input of my axe-fx, in the back.

That is NO MIC INPUT! It's for AES digital connection. No wonder why you didn't hear anything.

The others are right though. You need some kind of mic preamp which makes mic level -> line level. That goes into the Axe-Fx well.

That is NO MIC INPUT! It's for AES digital connection. No wonder why you didn't hear anything.

The others are right though. You need some kind of mic preamp which makes mic level -> line level. That goes into the Axe-Fx well.

Oh, I see.

What if I plug my mic into my presonus firestudio then into my axefx2?
If so, where does my cable go from my presonus to my axefx? I'm assuming line OUT on my presonus, and then instrument in the axefx?

I use the L6 pro Hd. It has an XLR mic input. Works for my Palmer PGA-04 in the XLR, can control input, +48 phantom power,pad and has a nice Tube Pre that is great for warming up vocals. USB into the laptop for recording. You also have all the effects and a bunch of vocal only effects.

I use the L6 pro Hd. It has an XLR mic input. Works for my Palmer PGA-04 in the XLR, can control input, +48 phantom power,pad and has a nice Tube Pre that is great for warming up vocals. USB into the laptop for recording. You also have all the effects and a bunch of vocal only effects.

Are you saying I can't use the firestudio as a preamp and then send that to my axefx2?

Are you saying I can't use the firestudio as a preamp and then send that to my axefx2?
Not at all. I think what you said would work. I don't have any experience with your set up.
Got a good deal on the Pro Hd while waiting on my AF2, had a M13 years ago and liked some of the cheesy effects in it but it didn't do what I wanted midi wise.

Ok, I'll try that!

Also, this is a shot in the dark question but, after I record a song with my axefx2, the sample rate is set to 48khz. Is there a way I can make my presonus record in this quality aswell? Because today I tried recording a friend and when I switched my audio device to my presonus from my axefx2 it said something along the lines of "Error Code: aa" it kind of baffled me.

Back
Top Bottom