Using the axe 24/7

goribigon

Inspired
hi, is it wise to use the axe fx all day, all the time, as an audio interface, or is it too much ?
of course it wouldnt be really 24/7, as i would turn it off at the night and when i'm not on the pc.

It is no issue. I use mine for extended periods - leaving it on over night and such - with zero issues.

Actually, most pro studios leave their gear on ALL THE TIME - the theory being that the thermal stress of stuff heating up and cooling down is more destructive than just letting it cook. This was (is?) S.O.P. in most of the studios I recorded in over the years - but no I do everything at home (and don't leave it all on - I am too much of an eco-geek to self-justify that).

Actually, most pro studios leave their gear on ALL THE TIME - the theory being that the thermal stress of stuff heating up and cooling down is more destructive than just letting it cook. This was (is?) S.O.P. in most of the studios I recorded in over the years - but no I do everything at home (and don't leave it all on - I am too much of an eco-geek to self-justify that).

that's interesting, as i dont really turn my pc off ever :lol only for cleaning and replacing parts.

Modern digital equipment I think you can go either way with. However, turning my stuff off every night seems to have made it last longer than some people I've seen who have left their stuff on 24/7.

Now a studio might do sessions all through a 24-hour period, so a couple hours in-between sessions is probably not worth turning off and on all that stuff. Plus, it might be hell on the breakers.

Same here. Firefox seem to act slower otherwise, and communication via Skype is much more noisy-fragmented. Go figure :/

We still do it. The biggest reason back in the olden days was because it took about 30 minutes for stuff to warm up and anything (actually almost everything) that had an internal oscillator of some kind would drift. Basically you'd fire it up, time and align your system and your operator would come in there and 20 minutes later he'd be having a frickin' aneurysm because everything was off kilter. If we did shut down we'd take turns coming in early and fire up the equipment and then go in there and do alignments.

Now that everything is non-linear or digital you don't have nearly the issues with that. Conversely we have a whole other slew of things to fight like non-standard 'standards' and just really crappy made equipment. Any PC or IT company thinks that they can get into the broadcast/production industry and will put together an absolute turd of a product. I've had switchers and audio consoles and crap that will still run great 20 years later and I'll have a nice shiny box with blue LED's that won't get to 5 years without imploding and then you go to get parts only to find out that it's legacy and you just have to replace it all together.

Old bitter guy rant over. :)

I think this is/was true for tubes/analog gear, but digital? Not likely.

Back
Top Bottom