Using SPDIF - no sound with Scarlett 18i20

Nagi Mysore

Inspired
I am tring to use Axe SPDIF out to Scarelett 18i20 (Focusrite). I am getting no sound...any help appreciated..

COnnections are: and what am I missing?

Guitar - front input of Axe - AXE SPDIF Out to Scarlett 18i20 SPDIF IN - Scarlett Monitor out to QSC K12.

In Scarellett Mix Control - I have set the SPDIF left and Right to Monitor out.

In Axe I/O
SPDIF / AEC select - SPDIF
USB Digital out select to output 1.

View attachment 25022

I tried routing SPDIF Land SPDIF R to Monitor output 1 and 2 as well...still no sound.

OK it works fine but the sample rate keeps changing by itself back to 44.1...and sound goes off...How do I make sure teh Mix Control or computer does not screw with the sample rate?? Again many thanks

Another quick question...earlier my Scarlett 18i20 showed a lots of red from levels over...Now that its all going digital...there is no red light for clipping anywhere on the Scarlett...I am able to get a bit louder I think....is this normal...or does SPDIF show clipping somehow?

Many thanks once again

The LEDs are only for the analog inputs. You can only monitor the digital levels through the software.

Sent from Moto X

Got it thanks. It looks like if I set the slider in the Mix software slider for SPDIF max at 0 db...thats the max output right? Looks like no matter how high I turn up the guitar and levels, it never goes into clipping...Maybe this is one of the great benefits of SPDIF..Am I correct??

Exactly; in my experience, the output level knobs on the Axe don't have any impact on the SPDIF level. I don't remember if changing the level in the software for the 18i20 changes that.

Back
Top Bottom