Using real amp + load box with Axe FX (problem?)

Nice, thanks for that! Loop 3 and 4 both work fine with this test. The return signal is within .1db.
I guess the next thing I'd do is backup all your System settings in Fractal-Bot, then RESET SYSTEM PARAMETERS.

I guess the next thing I'd do is backup all your System settings in Fractal-Bot, then RESET SYSTEM PARAMETERS.
I tried that yesterday, and no change.

Here's a clip. It alternates back and forth between:
1) Guitar > real amp input > powerstation line out > Axe input 4 > cab block > out 1
2) Guitar > Axe inst input > Out 4 > real amp input > powerstation line out > Axe input 4 > cab block > out 1

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dk1op4kdec6k2tb/axe_loop_test.mp3?dl=0

This issue is quite interesting. I'm wondering what happens if you just go as far as to the front of the amp (amp input) from Axfx loop4-out and let the amp go into a real cab with no load box + no cabling back to Axfx - then comparing to direct into amp (with real cab connected / no load box)
I don't have a real cab at the moment

Try connecting the PS fx send to the Axe-Fx 3 instead of the line out and see if it does anything different in that scenario. You could also test the XLR out vs 1/4" line out.

I'd try different cables going from Axe-Fx 3 to amp input.

Try connecting the PS fx send to the Axe-Fx 3 instead of the line out and see if it does anything different in that scenario. You could also test the XLR out vs 1/4" line out.

I'd try different cables going from Axe-Fx 3 to amp input.

I’ve tried different cables from Axe to amp input. Humbuster and regular. No change (except for lots of hum with the regular cable!).

I also tried the PS fx send instead of line out. Same thing. Haven’t tried XLR out yet.

Really it seems like it’s the path from Axe to amp input that’s the problem, though. I still wonder if there’s something in the Diezel input that reacts differently when it’s seeing the Axe loop vs direct guitar input.

I have this same setup. I assume you are adjusting the line level output volume knob on the back of the PowerStation as high as possible without clipping the Axe Input 4?

You will have to adjust the line level out based upon how loud your amp’s master volume is.

I have this same setup. I assume you are adjusting the line level output volume knob on the back of the PowerStation as high as possible without clipping the Axe Input 4?

You will have to adjust the line level out based upon how loud your amp’s master volume is.
Everything post-amp seems fine. If I plug the guitar directly into the real amp input, it sounds good. It sounds the same as me using the amp without involving the Axe at all. It's just when I use the 3/4 loops in Axe that I seem to be losing signal hitting the front of the amp.

But I did that test Matt mentioned earlier, using the synth to measure the loop volume, and that was fine. So I can't figure it out!

I've spent two years without a real amp, just using Axe by itself, so I might just go back to that...

I put just a Bogner distortion pedal in the loop, and that was super close whether I plugged into the Axe or direct to the pedal. Just a little bit of high end loss using the loop (from the cable, I guess?).

So it seems like the real amp just doesn't do well in the loop for some reason.

Speaking of this subject. I have not tried using the drive models in the Axe FX to boost a real amp. Does that work like a real analog pedal would to boost a real amp?

Speaking of this subject. I have not tried using the drive models in the Axe FX to boost a real amp. Does that work like a real analog pedal would to boost a real amp?
Works great - I actually prefer Axfx drives in front of outboard preamps in many instances mainly because of the tweakability and switchability of Axfx drives. But also, with my H+K and Blackstar amps at least, the Axfx drives behave similarly to what a real pedal would/could (no wierdness). Might depend on the amp though.

Helps to use a unity gain loop (3 or 4 on Ax3) and to get one's head around the specific levels coming out of Ax3 after the drive block which can push the outboard amp to varying degrees similar to how a real pedal would.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom