Using Preamp with FM3 effects only

rrhoads17

Inspired
I have an old Digitech GSP-21 which sounds pretty good when heavily EQ’d. How can I connect this preamp with the FM3 doing all the effects? I just want to see how it sounds for shits and giggles.

Put your Out2 and IN2 blocks in front of the amp block to create an FX loop to put the Digitech in. Use the Tube Pre model in the amp block to add some transparent-ish tube power amp goodness to it. The manual outlines how to put pedals in an FX loop. It's the same technique here basically.

Note that you may want to add the Axe's Amp Block as a Tube Power Amp sim, as tube preamps alone rarely get it done by themselves (you need the tube power amp sim for tone/color/compression, plus the impedance curve unless feeding a tube power amp and cab).

Keep the tube power amp sim's front end clean by lowering the Input Gain, use the Null Tonestack, and hit whichever power section you choose as hard as desired with the Master Volume Trim, plus you can set the Preamp's Bias and Excursion to the Tube Pre's spec's as well as needed.

This is how I run my FX3 with my various tube preamps (AS Marshall JCM 800, Randall/Egnater Marshall Super Lead/Friedman BE, Orange OR-120, HiWatt DR-103, Fender Deluxe, Matchless Chieftain, Vox AC-30TB, Dumble ODS Skyliner, plus a Kittyhawk Quattro and Rocktron Plexi).

Works great!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom