Using Power conditioner to turn everything on?

This may be a stupid question, but I'll ask anyway. Does anybody leave everything in their rack on and just use the switch on the power conditioner to power up? Any bad things that can happen as a result of using this method?

Thanks,
Ed

weathertite1 said:
1). Does anybody leave everything in their rack on and just use the switch on the power conditioner to power up?

2). Any bad things that can happen as a result of using this method?
1). NO

2). YES

Ok. Well I always shut everything down then turn off the power conditioner. Thought maybe I was just being my usual OCD self and missing something. Guess not. Thanks

Ed

So now we have a conflict. What is the correct answer? Power conditioner>Ultra w/MFC101>Line mixer>Mesa 2:50>Earcandy cab. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Ed :?: :roll: :oops: ;)

For piece of mind and good practice is to turn everything on/off in order, my mixer if im lazy that powers up with the conditioner just cause the switch is on the back and harder to reach.

You can turn on the externals with the conditioner likely with no problems ever, But for Sure turn the poweramp on on it's own last, and off first.
I also put it on standby first and let the tubes chill for a few before shutting it down.

Some power conditioners have "sequenced" power, where power is applied to groups of power outlets in order, with a time delay between each group. This can be useful to do things like turning power amps on last, and off first.

xrist04 said:
Some power conditioners have "sequenced" power, where power is applied to groups of power outlets in order, with a time delay between each group. This can be useful to do things like turning power amps on last, and off first.

I never understood why this was helpful.

Separately, I am interested in the question posed in this thread, but not for powering my Axe. Instead, for turning on my monitors and interface at home in my studio. The monitors are turned on from the back and I just want to be able to flip one easy switch while sitting at my desk.

I have my Axefx plugged into my Power Conditioner and i leave the Axe turned on at all times and use the Pow Con main as its on/off. I believe (hope) this is ok.

I have eight separate switches on my power distribution panel (it's not a power conditioner). It's connected to everything and everything is otherwise always in the "on" position. Having multiple switches (or sequenced power) allows turning on the speakers last, and turning them off first. If you don't do that, you get those wonderful little "pops" which, over time, can be damaging to your speaker.

I only have active speakers, so I don't know exactly how that changes when using a power amp.

So, to answer the OPs Q...
1) yes
2) maybe
(same answer as GiRa)

weathertite1 said:
Power conditioner>Ultra w/MFC101>Line mixer>Mesa 2:50>Earcandy cab

Leave the Axe-Fx and the line mixer's switches on and turn them on and off from the power conditioner.

Keep the Mesa separated.

When you turn your gear on, start from the power conditioner, then the Mesa's power switch.
After a minute or so turn on the standby switch.

When turning off: turn off the Mesa and then the power conditioner.

Just remember to turn the poweramp on LAST and off FIRST with either tube or solid state amps, because you can seriously damage your speakers if you don't. Most other equipment doesn't matter.

I work sometimes in the booth at local theaters, some of which have racks of equipment. Everything in the racks but the power amps generally turns on with one switch. As t0aj15 posts, turn your power amps (or powered speakers) on last and off first.

Some units, like my DriveRack 260, can generate a seriously loud transient when powered off, which is not good for speakers.

The other consideration is whether the switch contacts can handle the current involved in making and breaking the circuit. Again, power amps are generally the culprit here, so that is another reason to switch the power amps separately.

Can anyone suggest a good/inexpensive power sequencer, or a rack-mountable conditioner which has separate switches on the front for each outlet?

MotherSea said:
Can anyone suggest a good/inexpensive power sequencer, or a rack-mountable conditioner which has separate switches on the front for each outlet?
Cliff's aspersions against Monster aside, the Monster PRO 2500 has sequenced power. So does the Furman PS-Pro II. Shop around, there are others.

MotherSea said:
zero power conditioning, but I like my Chauvet PC-09... eight outlets, each with their own switch and you can definitely get it for $30 -- when necessary, I plug the power panel itself into a separate UPS.

godprobe said:
MotherSea said:
zero power conditioning, but I like my Chauvet PC-09... eight outlets, each with their own switch and you can definitely get it for $30 -- when necessary, I plug the power panel itself into a separate UPS.

Wish I had seen this earlier... just pulled the trigger on a Furman PS-8R for $125 + shipping. I don't think I'll be disappointed though.

Back
Top Bottom