Using multiple amps and continuity between tones and frequency?

Another factor to consider is the microphones. For example, going from an SM57 to an R121 is enough of a change to potentially break that continuity. Dynacabs are great for creating some standardization because you can select the mics and control distance and placement.
If anything too, I was thinking the opposite! Perhaps if a specific tone was nice and clear on say EOB tones, then switching to a more aggressive Marshall style could perhaps benefit from a warmer mic to balance it out.

"...how do you guys manage different amps and tones sounding like they’re in the same camp so to speak?"

My own kitchen sink presets generally feature 3-4 switchable amps, not too far removed from those you've chosen: 1959SLP, Deluxe Reverb, AC30, 2204. The main reason for switching between them is because they sound different. Because they react differently to the same guitar. Because they have individual character and qualities. Trying to get one to sound like the other defeats the reason for having a choice, to me. However, I am a stickler for levels so no matter which one I'm using, they are all levelled to just tickle the red when playing at battle volume. For the record, I use a Strat primarily, 9 times out of 10 with one of the Marshall models (usually the SLP) and ride the guitar's volume all night. The Vox and/or DR are only switched in if I require their distinctive tone.
our other guitar player rides his volume knob all night long too. the problem is that it results in HUGE volume spikes to FOH. how do you avoid that? or do you have someone running the mixer & compensating?

If anything too, I was thinking the opposite! Perhaps if a specific tone was nice and clear on say EOB tones, then switching to a more aggressive Marshall style could perhaps benefit from a warmer mic to balance it out.
I would say try running the same mic further from the center for that, but be careful not to overdo it.

our other guitar player rides his volume knob all night long too. the problem is that it results in HUGE volume spikes to FOH. how do you avoid that? or do you have someone running the mixer & compensating?
It depends on the amp model. I do this mainly with the SLP1959 or 2204. Both are gained at around 12 o'clock, both have minimal headroom at this gain level, but both clean up extraordinarily well with a Strat, its volume knob and some moderate output pickups. This reflects the real-world Marshalls as well. The actual dB level doesn't change that much, maybe by around 2-3dB at the most, which is what I want when it's time for the hero solos. However, if I did this with an amp model that had tons of headroom, I'd no doubt have to cope with severe volume fluctuations and would be better off just kicking in an OD or another amp channel with matching output. I'd be interested to know which amp model your bandmate is using.

It depends on the amp model. I do this mainly with the SLP1959 or 2204. Both are gained at around 12 o'clock, both have minimal headroom at this gain level, but both clean up extraordinarily well with a Strat, its volume knob and some moderate output pickups. This reflects the real-world Marshalls as well. The actual dB level doesn't change that much, maybe by around 2-3dB at the most, which is what I want when it's time for the hero solos. However, if I did this with an amp model that had tons of headroom, I'd no doubt have to cope with severe volume fluctuations and would be better off just kicking in an OD or another amp channel with matching output. I'd be interested to know which amp model your bandmate is using.
unfortunately, he's not using a fractal. he's riding the volume because he's too lazy to spend the time to learn his multi-fx pedal and level his presets.

Back
Top Bottom