Using monitors for AXE and music playback simultaneously

dav2321

Inspired
I've been using two different setups,two Adam AX5s for the AXE 2 and a focal XS 2.1 for computer audio but am planning to upgrade the computer audio and was thinking of trying a small mixer and just using the Adams for both. Those of you who have tried both ways- do you think you loose anything by having one set of monitors?

I was planning on picking up another set of Adam A5xs or Focal CMS50s for the computer, but it's over a grand ($1k) for either option so I thought might think about this and see what others think. The price wont kill me but a less cluttered desk area would be nice if I'm not compromising on sound quality.

I have been using one set of monitors without issue. I use the Axe Fx 2 as my main interface & run Reaper, Itunes & the Axfx2 all at the same time. I like the being able to set the levels & have it all output through one source. YMMV.

I've been using two different setups,two Adam AX5s for the AXE 2 and a focal XS 2.1 for computer audio but am planning to upgrade the computer audio and was thinking of trying a small mixer and just using the Adams for both. Those of you who have tried both ways- do you think you loose anything by having one set of monitors?

I was planning on picking up another set of Adam A5xs or Focal CMS50s for the computer, but it's over a grand ($1k) for either option so I thought might think about this and see what others think. The price wont kill me but a less cluttered desk area would be nice if I'm not compromising on sound quality.

When using a full range solution this is not really an issue, balancing your mix between play back and the Axe will take care of that. I can get a fairly good sound out of the low end monitors that I have been using for quite a wile now.

I don't see how it would be any different than playing a band's or orchestra's music through a set of monitors. Most of the music we listen to is just a mix of different instruments, after all. I have no trouble running my AxeFX and music, Youtube, backing tracks etc. through the same set of monitors.

Why are people suggesting a mixer??? Man they do love spending for no reasons.

Plug your monitors in the axe. Open up your music player (itunes, wmp, whatever) and adjust the volume of the player in relation with the axe. Boom, done. 0$.

I always practice with itunes and the axe through my studio monitors or headphone, no issue there. It's even better to use only one monitoring source as it gives you an idea if your presets cut through the mix or not.

Ya spending a couple bucks on a small format mixer to have full control from multiple sources is just spending for no reason...... obviously no one needs a mixer, what were we all thinking...

Ya spending a couple bucks on a small format mixer to have full control from multiple sources is just spending for no reason...... obviously no one needs a mixer, what were we all thinking...

What multiple sources? It's all internal. Why get an external mixer when all the sources are at the same place, just adjust the volumes. Hell, even windows has an internal mixer.

That's one big problem on that forum, the mentality here is spend to get what you want. I thought it was fractalaudio forum, not gearslutz.

I've been recording me and other, mixing, playing, listening to music, watching movies, playing video games and throughout these years, I never needed a mixer. Mixers are obsolete, except for live use.

What multiple sources? It's all internal. Why get an external mixer when all the sources are at the same place, just adjust the volumes. Hell, even windows has an internal mixer.

That's one big problem on that forum, the mentality here is spend to get what you want. I thought it was fractalaudio forum, not gearslutz.

I've been recording me and other, mixing, playing, listening to music, watching movies, playing video games and throughout these years, I never needed a mixer. Mixers are obsolete, except for live use.

Mixers are obsolete?????? Yes, and they are so expensive (not). I find the mixer very useful for monitoring and recording. You don't, that's fine-Been working great for me for 5+ years with Fractal and 20 years before that. How many recording studios have you seen without a mixer?

Mixers are obsolete?????? Yes, and they are so expensive (not). I find the mixer very useful for monitoring and recording. You don't, that's fine-Been working great for me for 5+ years with Fractal and 20 years before that. How many recording studios have you seen without a mixer?

And how many uses the mixer except to send musician mixes these days? The issue here is not a million dollar studio. It's someone in their room that wants to play while listening to music. You can do that for free. Why spend more? That's why the US is in the shithole. Spend non stop

Your opinion is not everyone's.
I mean we all said what we each think. Maybe we should leave it at that and let him decide what he wants to do.

Fighting over opinions never accomplished anything.

Last edited:
I have my DAW, AxeFx (or any other one-off audio source) and my computer audio all running into one of these: Mackie - Big Knob

Bought it used for not too much coin.

I really like the flexibility of picking sources and speakers etc.

I've had issues trying to run computer audio via USB, using the Axe as an interface into powered speakers. If you have Axe presets that are above ~90% CPU, you may run into crackling when you simultaneously run audio and play the Axe. I run my computer direct into my CLRs second input to avoid this issue. If the A5x's don't have a second input, a small mixer would achieve the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom