Using MidiOX to capture sysex sent from Axefx 2

bossredman

Inspired
Hi,

I'm trying to capture the sysex msgs my Axefx 2 sends out when it does various things - ie Pset change, Scene change, Blocks IA status changes.

I have built my own MFC which works in the main - but does some weird things now an again.

I have midiOX & a midi port interface M-Audio Midisport 1x1 1-In/1-Out 16 MIDI Channel USB Bus-Powered Interface.

I've connect the midi out on the AFX to the midi in on the Midisort - but can't seem to get it to read much.

Does anyone know of detailed configuration settings for midiox pls.
Also is there anything special I need to configure on the AFX to do this.

OK lets try a different approach.

With a bit of tinkering I managed atleast to capture something - but not what I was expecting.

So... with the setup as described above...if I turn the big knob on front panel to change the preset.. what sysex msgs would you expect to see captured by midi-ox.

I used to capture all of the MIDI output of the Axe-Fx, Axe-Edit, and MFC-101 using an Emagic AMT8.
It allowed the various components to communicate seamlessly with each other while simultaneously "snooping" on any I/O pair in MIDI OX or Snoize.

You'll see a Sysex "Refresh" command when you change presets on the front panel.

M@ of course enlightened you but one thing that i noticed was that you stated you wanted to know what midi messages the Axe FX was sending out during preset, scene, etc changes.

I think what you need to focus on is what messages Axe Edit sends TO THE Axe FX to make those things occur.

I have monitored the midi between the Axe and my computer, by first turning off the feature in the Axe FX that sends tuner and tempo info, and then I type a change in Axe Edit, and, as M@ worded it, "snoop" on the midi/sysex messages that are sent to the Axe FX to accomplish the parameter change.

Since midi can be used for Presets, Scenes, and controllers, I tended to focus my attention on parameters that are not capable of being controlled by MIDI, to enable me to control them via sysex. I am away from my gear, but there are 2 parameters that you can attach a modifier to, and two that you cannot attach a modifier to in the amp - Boost, Cut, Fat, Saturation, and I can control the two (actually all four) with sysex ex. I also have mapped the sysex for increasing and decreasing the scene main output fader in .25db increments above and below 0db. I think I have the info for going up to +12db and to -12db for the purpose of volume boosts or volume adjustments between sounds in a song. This enables me to remain in scene 1 and still use a combination of modifiers and sysex to get the same results you can get with scene modifiers, while separating the values of the parameters so they are not dependent upon one scene.

I have a spreadsheet I use sometimes to help me with converting a midi value to the parameter setting I want, and can use it to adjust the lowest and highest values of the sweep range for modifiers.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/t60abbejfijddiy/MIDI 0-127 VALUES 9-14-17.xlsx?dl=0

In doing so, I can have a "go-zillion" scenes with my Liquid Foot controller, while remaining in one Axe Preset and scene, thereby decreasing audio dropouts to a bare minimum.

I was wondering if there is a complete, or at least "more" complete Midi-map, notably for working with the synth and pitch parameters.

Back
Top Bottom