Using FX8 With The Fryette Power Station

I recently have been testing an FX8 (and a Helix, actually) in 4CM with various amps that I have.

I am using the PS as both an attenuation device and using it for it's fx loop for some of my amps that don't have internal loops.

I have been encountering horrible shrieking, high-pitched noise when trying to do this. I am fairly certain it is something to do with the PS, however, as I can use both the FX8 and Helix in 4CM directly with my amps that have internal loops without issue. I can also use the PS fine when only using it as a loop with my non-loop amps (i.e. not also going into the front of the amp).

So, I know my PS seems to be working fine (since I can use its loop with non-4CM), my FX8/Helix seem to be working fine (since I can use them in 4CM with amps that have their own loop), my cables and connections all seem to be fine (since I am simply replicating what is working with my amps directly)....

I just can't figure out what the issue might be.

Has anyone used their FX8 with a PS in 4CM with an actual amp the way I am trying to?

Thanks!

guitar to FX8 -> from FX8 out (pre) L -> front of amp -> amp out to PS amp in -> PS speaker out to cab -> PS fx send to FX8 In (post) L -> FX8 Out (post) L -> PS fx return

Hey! I have a power station I use with my FX8 no problem. Make sure your gain of the FX loops match! There's a button to put it to +4 or -10 on the pack of the PS. make sure it matches the FX8 (default +4 I think).

thanks guys - yeah, ive tried toggling that Hi/Lo button on the back of the PS but it didnt do anything, other than maje the high pitched shriek slightly higher or lower in volume.

thanks again guys - i did also try toggling the ground.

i set the fx8 to instrument level.

i have not tried turning the fx8 loop down - i assume that is an optionin one of the menus? what level would you suggest or should i just play with it?

one thing i forgot to ask, for those of you that have used it successfully - do you have your load amp turned up pretty loud/breaking up? im wondering if im overloading the PS somehow (maybe turning down the fx8 would help this if thats the case?)?

thanks again for everyones ideas!

tried with my Suhr SL68 and Germino HR 100....I may have tried with my Metro-Plex (but can't remember if i just used its internal loop, which works fine in 4CM).

basically, plexi style amps

thanks again guys - i did also try toggling the ground.

i set the fx8 to instrument level.

i have not tried turning the fx8 loop down - i assume that is an optionin one of the menus? what level would you suggest or should i just play with it?

one thing i forgot to ask, for those of you that have used it successfully - do you have your load amp turned up pretty loud/breaking up? im wondering if im overloading the PS somehow (maybe turning down the fx8 would help this if thats the case?)?

thanks again for everyones ideas!

Yes it's in the global settings.

Did you ever get this figured out? I am having the exact same problem when hooking my FX8 up in 4CM to my '72 Marshall JMP and using the power station as an attenuator and as a FX loop.

OK! So, with attenuation, and speaker mismatch to a 4x12 cab, with the line out plugged in, huge feedback. when removed, no problem at all! Perhaps you have a line out running in your rig? Try removing it to see if the squeal goes away.

OK! So, with attenuation, and speaker mismatch to a 4x12 cab, with the line out plugged in, huge feedback. when removed, no problem at all! Perhaps you have a line out running in your rig? Try removing it to see if the squeal goes away.

im not using a line out - so, dont think thats a problem.

fryette support actually emailed me and its something to do with the way their unit is setup.

i have to find the email but they said something like first trying to remove the shielding from the cable?

From what cable? I'll jack my gear into the Fryette loop when I get home, rather than my Mesa loop. I'd love to see that email...

02.09.16: Having the same issue with Non Master Marshall 50 watt and FX8 trying 4 cable method. Anyone fix this? I see threads, but no solution. Would LOVE to be able to use the Loop! Any help would be appreciated.

I have not yet tried my Power Station with the FX8 I just got yesterday, but I had this problem with the power station when I was connecting a mod factor in the loop of PS and a time factor to a powered monitor. I was using a switch to tap tempo on both devices at the same time so It created a feedback loop with a very high pitched squeal due to the fact that the grounds were connected in two places. I discover the fix when I unplugged the wire from one of the switches. I removed the ground wire from one of the switching wires and the feedback loop went away. It didn't need that wire because it was already grounded somewhere else as well.

Using ground lift switch on power station won't fix it. What you have to do is determine which one of your interconnecting cables needs to have the ground lifted on one end. Cut the shield wire on an instrument cable on one end and try it in different places until the feedback loop goes away. Maybe you will have to do it on more than one of the cables. I am not sure because I haven;t tried it yet with FX8. If I have the same problem and solve it with this new situation, I will report back on a definitive fix

Back
Top Bottom