Using Fractal as DAW input vs Scarlett?

From an Input and Output quality. Would i see any improvement in tone (not just the ability to get multiple ins/outs) moving to a Scarlett device as the direct USB into my Mac. Using a set of JBL 305's and the Axe FX II as the input. Monitors plugged direct into Fractal and using that as my PT and Logic audio interface.

I have a similar setup, Scarlett, Axe ll and logic. Just a couple points: If you use USB in from the Axe you skip the D/A and A/D conversion stages going analogue out to analogue in. If you use the Axe for monitoring you get the lowest latency for your guitar playing (it doesn't have to make the round trip to Logic and back).

The sound quality sounds about the same to me whether using USB or the Analogue in on the Scarlett. Maybe my ears aren't golden enough to tell the difference? I like the low latency of monitoring off the Axe and using USB.

Good points, I didn't think about latency in this.

I have a Scarlett 6i6 and before that a Echo Digital Audio Layla 3G.

I have never quite figured out how to use the AXE FX II as a soundcard.
Would seem to be tricky to me for use in an Audio/MIDI DAW as I do audio production in Sonar and Ableton.
I do run the AXE FX into the Scarlett digital input when recording in Sonar or Ableton.

The biggest advantage to using external USB interfaces is they often have XLR inputs and phantom power for mics. I doubt you'll be able to detect any difference in audio quality between the two. If anything, I would expect the Axe II's hardware to be higher quality.

In theory every time you add a new step you are going to introduce some noise and imperfections. I believe the purpose of the Scarlett is to just be a clean preamp and not color the sound, so in that case (and because the Axe FX is a digital device) if you want the "best sound" and least latency you should go direct. However the quality of preamps these days is good enough that you should notice practically no difference. So just go with whatever setup is best for you in terms of inputs and routings.

The biggest advantage to using external USB interfaces is they often have XLR inputs and phantom power for mics. I doubt you'll be able to detect any difference in audio quality between the two. If anything, I would expect the Axe II's hardware to be higher quality.

I would also add that using an external USB interface means you can switch the AFX OFF when you're doing other audio work, ie: not recording guitar = no fan noise ( the AFX's only shortcoming IMHO) !

As do I. It allows me more versatility. You'll have to select spdif as clock source in mix control to avoid clock pops
Not with my UR28M interface.

From the manual: "equipped with the SRC (Sampling Rate Converter) function. Even if the sampling rate at which the device is operating differs from the sampling rate of the audio signal input to the S/PDIF IN, the SRC function will automatically convert the rate so that playback will be correct. SRC is only available when INTERNAL is selected
as the clock source of the device."

However, I have mine set to Internal and at 48kHz. Never experienced any problems.

If you work at anything higher than 48kHz, then you'll probably want to hit the scarlett, not USB. I typically work projects at 96kHz until I'm basically done where I'll downsample etc. Having the Axe-Fx II drop in 48kHz adds extra steps to my workflow that is otherwise easily avoidable.

I'm using a Mac so I don't know about other OS's but it's as easy as selecting the Axe for the output in the DAW. I use the Scarlett 6i6 for any analog ins and can switch between the Axe and the Scarlett in Logic's preferences. You just have to remember to turn off software monitoring in the DAW.

In the Mac Audio/Midi utility you can create a composite device with both the Axe FX and the Scarlett (or other devices) and have both of them available at the same time in the DAW.

For those with the Scarlett, how are you actually connecting?

Currently I have the Scarlett connected via USB to my mac with the Scarlett going out L/R to the JBLs. I have the Axe FX balanced XLR going out L/R directly to the JBLs. I also have the Axe FX connected via USB for use with Axe Edit. So I control my mac volume via the Scarlett, and Axe FX volume via the output 1 level.

Eric (new here)

I have an 18i20, so I'm not sure this will be applicable to you.

I have Output 1 going to IN 8, and Output 2 (which is echo Input 1) going to IN 7 on the 18i20. Then I have Monitor 1 / 2 outputs (from the 18i20) going to my monitors via balanced 1/4" cables. Axe is also hooked up via USB to the computer but only for Fractal Bot / Axe-Edit, not recording. I set my levels for Output 1 so I'm not clipping the 18i20's input and let it alone, then control my volume either directly on the front of the Scarlett, or (bad habit) with the master/main fader.

I use an 18i20, and had an 18i8 before that. I use s/pdif into the Scarlett when I'm recording, and when I'm just playing, I use the analog ins to directly monitor. It's easy and I get the best of both worlds. I also leave my Axe USB hooked up and I use it as the soundcard because the driver is much more reliable than the Scarlett.

I have an 18i20, so I'm not sure this will be applicable to you.

I have Output 1 going to IN 8, and Output 2 (which is echo Input 1) going to IN 7 on the 18i20. Then I have Monitor 1 / 2 outputs (from the 18i20) going to my monitors via balanced 1/4" cables. Axe is also hooked up via USB to the computer but only for Fractal Bot / Axe-Edit, not recording. I set my levels for Output 1 so I'm not clipping the 18i20's input and let it alone, then control my volume either directly on the front of the Scarlett, or (bad habit) with the master/main fader.

So you're just sending two unbalanced (L) signals to inputs 7/8 on the 18i20. Why are you not sending both L/R for a stereo signal? Is this because you will record (guitar) twice using the unbalanced L and pan them L and R for stereo?

I would also add that using an external USB interface means you can switch the AFX OFF when you're doing other audio work, ie: not recording guitar = no fan noise ( the AFX's only shortcoming IMHO) !

This is pretty much why I still use an Echo AudioFire 4 audio interface. I previously had my Axe-Fx 2 hooked up via SPDIF to the Echo and that to my Genelecs but there were definitely some noise issues there but that is most likely due to crappy cables. I do feel that the Axe-Fx 2 directly to the monitors sounds better, however the Echo offers much much better control over inputs and outputs.

Back
Top Bottom