Using FCB1010 Tap Tempo

shep

Inspired
I FINALLY got my FCB1010 working. Stomp mode works. I can set up expression. In Global settings, I checked 'Block repetitive PC Messages' in Axe I/O. I select a preset that I have Program 08 (I like the bottom row for stomp) set for the PC redundant presses to control tap tempo from cc14. ( I also checked this by going into the FCB via non-ripwerx edit mode, buttons 5 and 9 are lit as should be). I tap Program 8 again after enabling the Delay stomp (patch defaults to delay off), and it turns delay off again (like it retransmitted the initial PC which sets delay state to off for me) instead of changing delay time. Any reason this should happen? Thanks for any help, Shep

Having read other posts, some say this can't be done - while voes' Ripwerx guide says it can. Your help is appreciated.
Thanks!

Last edited:
I thought I'd try setting up a 'rythmn' to 'lead' from 8 to 9. I use the same patch, ignore redundant pc is set to 'on' in both Axefx and FCB. I set spillover to 'both' in Axe Fx. In Ripwerx, set the box for delay to 'off' in Program 8 Rythmn), set it to on for Program 9 (Lead). Play lead on program 9 w/ delay on, switch to program 8 - no spillover.

Here's a Ripwerx shot - I use default Axe Fx cc14 for tap tempo. In fact, all cc's are default. Thanks.

Shep AXe Fx FCB issues.jpg

Ok, let's start with the tap Shep. The #6 pedal has a little more room so let's use that for now. Clear the CNT1 column and put the 14,127 in at the 0-6 spot. This gives tap for 0-6 thru 0-10. The next bank in the editor will be be 1-6 thru 1-10 so the tap for these 5 patches would be on 1-6, and so on, for each bank you create.

Next,sort your patch changing and then you can tackle the spillover. This might take care of it...or not.

Where you have patch 23 twice you are just telling the AxeFx to go to the same patch both times. The FCB doesnt change effects state in AxeFx, it just turns on the pedal light (FCB) to match the effects that are turned on in the AxeFx. So if patch 23has delay and reverb active they will stay on until you change the AxeFx settings. So copy that patch 023 to 022 on the Axe fx and go to the FCB 0-8 CNT1 put in 22 and rev and delay should be off now. If that works I would recommend doing this next.

Gp to the FCB editor and number your patches in order like this...

0-6 = 1 CNT1 box
0-7 = 2
0-8 = 3
and so on...

You have 95 possible preset spots on FCB editor so having the FCB 1-95 match your AxeFx 001-095 presets will make life a lot easier. Hope this helps a bit.

Klr

Klr - Thanks so much for taking the time. I hope to get to this over the weekend. I'll let ya know how it shakes out. Have a great weekend - Shep

I'm not sure, but once you re-engage a patch even though the program change is ignored you are probably still sending the IA's that are programmed with that preset. Only way I could think to prevent that is to use the NC setting in Ripwerx for your IA's (or perhaps just the ones that use tap tempo like delay). This way it won't retransmit the on/off state of that effect.

Last edited:
My per bank setup is incorrect, I was comparing your screenshot to my old tap template to see how I solved the same issue you are having. Don't know why I wrote the per bank thing though. I think I just compared my old tap template to your screenshot and tried to figure out why I did it that way.

Voes setup for tap tempo does have the delay turned on for that patch and I think Shasha is right about the IA's. However, if you use nc (stomps) method you will not have the correct state on the FCB. The nc stomp block was an issue for the tap tempo and some other things when I started using Ripwerx. For example, if you go to a delay on patch and back to a delay off, the light will be on and 2 taps are needed to get back to the correct state, so I never use nc for stomps. Guess it comes down to what kind of work around works best for you. Klr

My per bank setup is incorrect, I was comparing your screenshot to my old tap template to see how I solved the same issue you are having. Don't know why I wrote the per bank thing though. I think I just compared my old tap template to your screenshot and tried to figure out why I did it that way.

Voes setup for tap tempo does have the delay turned on for that patch and I think Shasha is right about the IA's. However, if you use nc (stomps) method you will not have the correct state on the FCB. The nc stomp block was an issue for the tap tempo and some other things when I started using Ripwerx. For example, if you go to a delay on patch and back to a delay off, the light will be on and 2 taps are needed to get back to the correct state, so I never use nc for stomps. Guess it comes down to what kind of work around works best for you. Klr
Interesting. I never used NC because I like having the effects initialized when I load a patch, but I had always wanted to go back and redo them with the state saved just to see if it would work out better. If that's the case then I'll probably take a pass.

Interesting. I never used NC because I like having the effects initialized when I load a patch, but I had always wanted to go back and redo them with the state saved just to see if it would work out better. If that's the case then I'll probably take a pass.

Yeah, that's what I ended up doing too shasha. I was testing the NC thing out last night and noticed something new to me. When I tapped once (PC) and then tap very quick once more I got a tap tempo change. Do you get this same response? Hmm? Probably normal, just never noticed before.

I haven't tried. But I hacked up my FCB1010 and added some buttons to is that connect to the AxeFX's rear connectors. One is for tuner and the other is for tap tempo so I never really tried these other types of configurations.

I am opting out of using the FCB for tap tempo. I'm using a latching pedal straight to pedal 1. Is it possible to use switch 1 on the FCB to control tap via one of the externals?

I'm still trying to get spillover to work between patches that have delay and verb on both.

I am opting out of using the FCB for tap tempo. I'm using a latching pedal straight to pedal 1. Is it possible to use switch 1 on the FCB to control tap via one of the externals?
No, those are designed to send on/off to an external unit like an amp head channel switch or rack FX bypass.

I'm still trying to get spillover to work between patches that have delay and verb on both.
It can work ok if you have the exact same setting in the delay and reverb blocks. Also you can set bypass mode to "mute FX in", when you go to a patch with delay bypassed you can still hear the trails.

The FCB doesnt change effects state in AxeFx, it just turns on the pedal light (FCB) to match the effects that are turned on in the AxeFx.
Not sure what was meant, but this isn't correct the FCB cannot read effect states from the AxeFX. The stomps can be programmed per FCB preset, to be on/off/nc. In any case, it always transmits their state when you select a preset. In NC mode, if you turn on delay with a switch in one patch it will be on in another patch provided the block and CC# are the same in each.

To the OP, I would recommend that you go to setup/options/view in Ripwerx don't remember exactly what it's called but you can enable every parameter to be viewable - there are multiple PC's and CC's that you don't see by default and I have found that they can contain spurious information. i.e., your PC1 on one switch may be say "21" while PC2 is "2" and it sends both. It's a good idea to save a "clean slate" file.

tubetonez - Thanks very much for the tips. I really like the mute fx in tip. I'll see if I can find the page in Ripwerx. Great tips. Should be a sticky for all this stuff.

Back
Top Bottom