Using CLR & AX8 together along with a small mixer for vocals?

WERNER1

Inspired
So I have my AX8 that I always run direct (FOH) with IEM's ... I also have a pair of CLR's for those "Just in case" times where I may need to play out and need some live sound reinforcement or additional monitoring. ...

Having said that, I like to play my acoustic and sing along at home and was wondering if I could hook up my AX8 and a small mixer to run to the CLR(s) sort of as a small PA system or something? ... not sure what the best way would be to accomplish this?

Thanks
Rick

Yes. The CLR is a full range speaker. I did this all the time with other similar speakers as monitors for the gig.

That’s what the gear is designed to do.

I understand using it for one or the other,.. but should I run the AX8 into the CLR directly and then use the other input on the CLR for the small mixer,.. or run both into the mixer first then out to the CLR?

I understand using it for one or the other,.. but should I run the AX8 into the CLR directly and then use the other input on the CLR for the small mixer,.. or run both into the mixer first then out to the CLR?
Either will work fine...see what works and sounds best for you.

sure. but a mixer can mix the signals from one spot. that's what a mixer does.

Either way will work. For me, it would depend on how good the mixer is & if it's going to color the guitar tone, ie. not very flat even at "flat" EQ settings or not great headroom. The other thing about running them separately is the CLR has independent input trims so you can gain stage them independently.

depend on how good the mixer is & if it's going to color the guitar tone, ie. not very flat even at "flat" EQ settings or not great headroom.
i've used the cheapest mixers available at some gigs and this is never an audible issue.

i've used the cheapest mixers available at some gigs and this is never an audible issue.
But did it effect the feel? The cheapest mixers are not going to have anywhere near the dynamic range of the AX8. Just curious.

But did it effect the feel? The cheapest mixers are not going to have anywhere near the dynamic range of the AX8. Just curious.
Nope. It’s a mixer that puts signals together. I’m not going for the most expensive, pure signal or sound at most gigs though. It ends up going through mostly crappy FOH gear or a built-in system in the restaurant anyway, so there are always compromises.

I think many people think a bad mixer or inexpensive other gear will degrade the sound by 80% or more or have a hum or buzz as loud as the guitar signal, which just isn’t correct.

Nope. It’s a mixer that puts signals together. I’m not going for the most expensive, pure signal or sound at most gigs though. It ends up going through mostly crappy FOH gear or a built-in system in the restaurant anyway, so there are always compromises.

I think many people think a bad mixer or inexpensive other gear will degrade the sound by 80% or more or have a hum or buzz as loud as the guitar signal, which just isn’t correct.
Unless it is hard wired input to output, it is effecting the tone & feel. To what degree, I have no idea because I haven't played through it. Obviously, if you only have what the venue provides, that's what you use or bring your own system. The OP is not in that position. He has a great modeler & great speakers, why put an icy mixer in-between. It will effect it. We don't know what quality of a mixer the OP has, he only says small. I'm mainly a bass player & have done countless sessions going direct into all kinds of consoles from Neve, API, Harrison, SSL, etc & they all effect tone & feel in some way. Some feel great, others are stiff as a board. YMMV.

Ok thanks again guys, I'll be picking up a small mixer here soon,... funny think is I just sold two complete 16 channel PA's about a year ago,.. oh well :D

Back
Top Bottom