Using Boss RC2 looper in Axe Standard effects loop: setting levels/layout

caseygree

Howdy,

got the Axe Standard rocking, and am now trying to get my looping capabilities added in.

My signal: Guitar>>Front input>>Back output (left)>>Carvin DCM1000 input>>Carvin ouptut>>Mesa 2x12

Input 2>>RC2 output>>RC2 input>>Axe output 2

My layout is super simple, input>>amp>>Reverb>>effects loop>>output.

Right now, I have the effects loop placed at the end of the chain (in the same row) and I can hear my loops, they are just super quiet compared to my guitar signal.
When I adjust my input 2 and output 2 volumes, my guitar signal increases, as well as the loop signal, but the guitar signal far exceeds the looper volume. Can't get it to equal out.

Any help is appreciated.

thanks,
case

Ok, so I got things leveled out, but it looks like my guitar volume is almost completely tied to output 2 knob now.. does that make sense? And the loop seems to be completely tied to output 1.. seems contrary to how I have it connected

It's because your entire signal is going through the Out2-RC2-In2 path. An alternate approach would be (if possible) setting the RC2 to only output playback then placing a shunt in parallel to the FXL block.

If you can eliminate dry (non-playback) signal from the RC2 output you could place a shunt in parallel to the effects loop block. That would avoid extra conversions & slightly more latency on your actual live playing, and gives the option of separate control (levels/effects) of live & playback signals within the Axe.

Heya, so that works great for getting the levels to sync up and eliminating the knob confusion.
But now, when I try to record a 2nd layer over a loop I can't hear the new recorded layer..

Any other suggestions or fixes for that?

thanks so much for the help.

Not sure, that sounds like an issue with looper settings. Did it work in the previous setup with dry passing through the RC2?

What did you adjust on the pedal to mute the dry signal? I don't know if it's designed to actually let you do that, based on the manual. You might have to go back to the original configuration.

I actually didn't make any adjustments on the pedal. Only moved the effects loop to its own row and ran it parallel to a shunt. (sorry if my terminology is incorrect)

In doing so, it looks like the RC2 cant pick up the signal to record it.

Thanks for the help so far.

Anyone else successfully running a looper with your Axe using the effects loop?

Did you make a connection to/from the FXL block in the parallel routing? I thought you got one loop recorded in that configuration, because you said it was an issue recording the second layer. If the pedal can't mute the dry signal you kind of have to use the initial series routing, everything going through effects loop. Anything else done to keep the dry signal within the Axe would be more of a hassle and interfere with things like instant playback and hearing existing loops while overdubbing.

Did you make a connection to/from the FXL block in the parallel routing? I thought you got one loop recorded in that configuration, because you said it was an issue recording the second layer.

It was an existing (saved) loop that I had recorded.
I'll keep playing around and see if I come up with anything.

thanks again,
case

Heya,
just an update, got this figured out, but still have one question.
Got it working in the loop running in parallel to a shunt. However, I have to crank output 2 in order for it to pick up a signal to record. When I do this, it essentially double-amplifies the input signal, and sounds all crazy. Still only records one signal, which is good. I've just been turning up output 2 when recording a loop, then immediately turning it down. Kind of a pain.

Question: is there any way to route output 1 through the looper instead of output 2? I assume not, but didn't know if there was any Axe voodoo someone knew how to work.

My other option (and this may be the route I go) is to use my Egnater Loop Gadget in between my Axe and power amp and just remove the looper/FX loop from the matrix all together..

It sounds strange because the looper is outputting dry signal too, which ends up slightly delayed & mixed with the shunt signal. I'd recommend forgetting about the parallel shunt approach--it's not ideal for a looper that can't mute the dry signal. Check your Out 2 levels at the Utility menu meters page--you might be sending a low level to the converters, which can be turned up with the row or main level slides at the first page of the FXL block.

You could send output 1 to the looper, and the looper output to whatever you want. It would just always be in the chain unless you add the Loop Gadget to switch it out.

The only way to make the FXL + parallel shunt work better would be muting the FXL block output while recording, then unmuting its output and muting its input during playback. A volume/filter block before & after FXL could accomplish that. So you're either sending signal to the looper, or listening to playback, but never both at the same time. As I mentioned above, this creates an issue if you want to overdub while listening to an existing loop, if the pedal allows it.

Back
Top Bottom