Using Axe-FX with Synth

alexi

Anyone using the AFX with a pedal synth like the Roland GR-20/33 or something similar? How do you have it routed? I've got one on the way and started contemplating the set up. Can I just run it in front of the Axe and use the pickup selector to toggle back and forth between the guitar and the synth as needed. If it's that simple what kind of patch would sound best for the synth? Tube pre or just some sort of "blank" patch? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

I have also been curious about this. I would think you could route the synth into the FX input on the Axe and then control it that way. Does anyone know if this would work. Would there be any disadvantage to doing it this way?

I use a GR-33 but I don't route it through the Axe. I find the onboard FX for the synth sufficient for my needs. If your guitar has a selector to toggle between the guitar and synth outputs, you're good to go. If you want to use the synth with your Axe-FX, I'm guessing you would need to route it through Input 2.

I use the Axe-Fx, an Axon, and a Virus TI2. The Axe-Fx synth on its own is also KILLER. I route in a variety of ways but here's a particularly fun one: bring the synth outputs in on Input 2, process them with the guitar tone (get a little MBC action...) and then mix together for presentation to a pair of Atomic Reactor FRs. PS: For some real wild fun, you can simultaneously send this whole hot mess back to the synth's inputs for post processing in another voice/engine. Say goodbye to your friends and family first.

But honestly, the Axe-Fx is so much fun and offers such a creative outlet on its own that I've lost a lot of the drive to do much guitar synth. Plus, my hex-equipped Parker is really not my favorite thing to play right now.

-m@

Matman said:
I use the Axe-Fx, an Axon, and a Virus TI2. The Axe-Fx synth on its own is also KILLER. I route in a variety of ways but here's a particularly fun one: bring the synth outputs in on Input 2, process them with the guitar tone (get a little MBC action...) and then mix together for presentation to a pair of Atomic Reactor FRs. PS: For some real wild fun, you can simultaneously send this whole hot mess back to the synth's inputs for post processing in another voice/engine. Say goodbye to your friends and family first.

But honestly, the Axe-Fx is so much fun and offers such a creative outlet on its own that I've lost a lot of the drive to do much guitar synth. Plus, my hex-equipped Parker is really not my favorite thing to play right now.

-m@

Apart from the Viris TI2 (wish I could afford one!!), this is exactly what I do now. Input 2 on Axe-FX from Axon to a pair of Atomics. My guitar is a Axon magnetic pickup modded Belman, which is nice. Am having a built-in Graphtech Ghost Strat made for me though, so that should be sweet. Works really, really well. Means I have more control over synth levels, and we get a more consistent balance in FOH as FOH only have to take a single XLR (I run mono due to unpredictability in phasing from venue to venue).

TimmyM

Back
Top Bottom