Using Axe-Fx III and Audio Interface with one set of monitors

VidarAus

Experienced
Am trying to wrap my head around all the potential ways to use an AXE III alongside a Saffire Pro 40 interface and one set of studio monitors. Option anxiety sets on quick as it seems there are a million different ways. As I am using Windows 10, seems there is no way to use the AXE III USB audio interface and the Saffire Pro 40 at the same time. So I will have to use one or the other at any one time. That's ok as there are lots of ways to hook up via digital and audio between the interfaces (but some scenarios need to use analog outs instead of digital which is not as ideal).

But I keep coming up against how best to allow the use of a single set of monitors with either interface without having to manually swap over the monitor input cables between the interfaces.

What a/b type switch boxes are people using for this setup? It would be good to still control master volume to the monitors using the output knob on the AXE III and the monitor output of the Saffire Pro 40 but seems like a lot of a/b boxes include a volume knob? Guess I could just run the volume wide open on such a device all the time? Or is there a cheaper, simpler switch box?

Thanks!

Just wanted to mention that your title says "Axe-Fx II", while your message text talks about the AXE III. Could cause some folks to overlook the thread.

HI

I'm exactly addressing that topic ! see https://forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/my-new-afx3.153579/
I move from my AFX2 to AFX3. Being using the AFX2 with my XR18, aggregated with asio4all, under WIN10 (I7 8700K @4.7Ghz, 16Go).

I have a single monitor stereo set with my 2 power amp matrix and 2 FRFR cab. And I would like to have the choice to connect my AFX3 or my XR18 without plug/unplug manually to my poweramps.
So made some research and a good solution is this one:
https://blog.airmann.de/diy-xlr-ab-switch-box/
no volume pot with resistors, altering the AFX3 signal quality/dynamic. To be built as DIY.

On the other hand, using the S/PDIF is a very good way to have the best signal to be sent into another audio interface, coz, no A/D conversion. The only conv. occuring is the D/A, at 110dB dyn for the Saffire. Often better converters now with new interfaces (Clarett, Motu, RME, ... for WIN10).

So to be sure to keep the AFX3 signal quality and Dynamic (115dB), I'm looking in parallel to move to another ausio interface such as the Clarett 8pre USB, to connect the AFX3 with S/PDIF. AS the the converters are 118dB, no issue.

So made some research and a good solution is this one:
https://blog.airmann.de/diy-xlr-ab-switch-box/
no volume pot with resistors, altering the AFX3 signal quality/dynamic. To be built as DIY.

After some more research, this switch box is cheap and is getting good reviews:

http://www.doukaudio.com/3-in-3-out...-audio-selector-box-passive-preamp-p0078.html

Have not found a circuit diagram but seems to be a simple passive switching device which would hopefully not color the sound too much. Might feel wrong to plug the AXE III into a $50 Chinese switch box though lol, even though I am sure it is probably great!

hmmm seems interesting...
to be analyzed through reviews and usages...
Should be passive yes.

from their web site:
"Passive audio splitter; There will be no impact on the sound quality; Switcher with silver-plated contacts to ensure its smoothness; HOT / COLD simultaneous switching mode; GND common terminal; Mini size; Can be easily placed "

That being said, my initial objective is to check for a new interface to plug the AFX3 in with S/PDIF and out to poweramp from the audio inteface.
This inteface to have the best dynamic in its converters not to decrease the AFX3 tone quality (see my other last posts, currently using my XR18).

I do not plug the S/SPDIF from the Axe-FX to the soundcard because I am recording the Axe-FX through its USB (and because the analog output allows me to use the Axe-FX OUT-1 volume control at the front panel). There is no decrease in quality. The USB direct recording is also an advantage for easy reamping.

Back
Top Bottom