Using Axe Fx II through head, help?

Hi all,

I am a recent buyer of an Axe Fx II, and am still quite new to it/learning how to use it to its full ability. This is also my first post so im not sure if im posting in the right section of the forum!

Basically i have been running the Fractal though USB until now directly into my computer... but i want to experiment and be able to use it with my rig.

I understand you need to have a power amp to run it through a cab, so i was wondering if any of you could give me any advice? (im not that good with the whole setting up process so need advice as i am a slow learner).

I own:
Ibanez thermion head (TN120 model)
peavey 6505 4x12 cab

Can anyone tell me if its possible for me to play my fractal through this? and if so what is the best way to set it up?

Sorry if this is stupid and not possible, just wanted to check though as i really want to be able to run it through the head.

Hope someone can help!

Of course it is possible.
:)
But I personally like the idea of a lightweigt rig.
That is one of the advantages with the axe
and a matrix poweramp , for example.

Any poweramp will be able to drive a speaker.

Ah thats great!

Do you know how i set it up correctly/where i can find out to? (also something that slow-learners will be able to grab onto easily?). Just want to make sure i dont blow anything up haha

Disable cab sims in the global meny. Or have cab sim after the effectloop
and connect out 2 to amp return or clean input.
But I don't know how you want to use it so I might
Be wrong. This is the way if you wanna use amp sims.

This is well explained in the manual

Also you can try and disable poweramp modelling if you don´t need it ( because of the real amps poweramp).
(dicrease the sag paramter down to zero)
That is if you are using amp sims in the axe, at all , wich I don´t know.
I know guys who only use the axe II,s drive-blocks .

Yes if it has an effects loop. You can use the AxeFX as a preamp and the tube amp (via effects loop) as a power amp.

Absolutely, a lot of people use it with a guitar amp, myself included. Thing to remember is, your amp will color the signal so it's going to sound quite different than on your headphones/studio monitors etc, so you need to tweak your presets accordingly. And as posted above, turning off Cab Sim and Poweramp Sim in the global menu is recommended, as your tube amp and cab will supply those characteristics in this setup. But then again, some people like it turned on. You just gotta let your ears guide you to what you like :)

I mostly use my Axe with FRFR monitors or headphones, but I occasionally like to throw it into my Stiletto as well. Sometimes I plug it directly into the poweramp (Out 2 from Axe into FX return on the amp), and sometimes right into the front, either way is fine, like I said you just gotta tailor the sound a bit to get it right.

Alright thanks a lot! I was just slightly worried that something would go wrong. I understand that the tube amp will color/change the signal quite a bit but i just wanted to experiment with the head i already owned before investing in any other sort of power amp

You don't -have- to do it, it's a matter of taste, but you are most likely going to want them off since you are running it through your own cab. Using cab sims along with an actual cab tends to give you darker tones, almost like having a blanket across your cab, it doesn't sound very natural. Not to me at least :) But just try both and see what you like.

so its fine to connect whilst having my cab sims and poweramp sims already on? Thanks a lot, didn't know how many people were active on this forum and the response has been so fast and helpful haha

so its fine to connect whilst having my cab sims and poweramp sims already on? Thanks a lot, didn't know how many people were active on this forum and the response has been so fast and helpful haha

Yes it's "fine", but you'll get a better sound if you turn off cab & power-amp sims since you're using a real cab and real power-amp.

I use a Marshall JCM 900 head for my power amp currently and I actually have the power amp sims on. Without it, it sounded thin and brittle. Then again I never liked the sound of the amp to begin with lol. It's just the lightest tube head I have.

Back
Top Bottom