Using axe fx and Matrix with Mesa head.

ThelmoRego

Inspired
Hey guys, just wanted to run this by you all to see if I am missing anything, I currently run an Axe Fx into a Matrix power amp and then out in stereo to 2 cabs, now I've been thinking about getting a JP2C and using the Axe for effects but my only concern is that I don't want to lose the stereo effects on my delays, chorus, etc.

What I'd like to know is do you see any reason why I couldn't put the JP2C in speaker off mode (which is a feature of it's cab clone that puts a load on the speaker out to not cause any damage) and than run the slave out into the axe fx, put on the grid all of my stereo effects and than out to the Matrix which would be stereo and power both cabs? My understanding of the slave out on the Mesa is that it is a signal taken from the speaker out so it does have both preamp and poweramp.
Thanks.

Hey guys, just wanted to run this by you all to see if I am missing anything, I currently run an Axe Fx into a Matrix power amp and then out in stereo to 2 cabs, now I've been thinking about getting a JP2C and using the Axe for effects but my only concern is that I don't want to lose the stereo effects on my delays, chorus, etc.

What I'd like to know is do you see any reason why I couldn't put the JP2C in speaker off mode (which is a feature of it's cab clone that puts a load on the speaker out to not cause any damage) and than run the slave out into the axe fx, put on the grid all of my stereo effects and than out to the Matrix which would be stereo and power both cabs? My understanding of the slave out on the Mesa is that it is a signal taken from the speaker out so it does have both preamp and poweramp.
Thanks.
I would think it would work better this way (but could be wrong)

Guitar > Axe in > Axe FX loop block > FX Send > JP2C amp > CAB Clone out (with ca sim off) > FX Return > IR CAB block > whatever FX > Matrix > cabs

The IR Cabs in the Axe WILL be infinitely better than what that cab clone does. Almost certain the output from Cabclone is line level. Line Level /= Instrument level, which is what the Axe input is expecting.

Course me, I'd just tweak and make a preset that does the JP2C.

Thanks for the reply cybermgk,
I completely agree with you that the IR's in the axe will blow out the cab clone, especially with all of the cab packs that I've bought, the problem is that I don't see a way to turn the cab clone simulation off on the JP2C.
As far as the last statement, that is obviously the easy path and I love the axe, but to me, it does not do a good C+, never has in my opinion. I thought I had finally got it once using the Triaxis Yellow amp (yes I found that the model of the model of the C+ was better than the actual C+ model lol.) I was happy with it for a while, but when I plugged into a real JP2C at the store, it blew me away, the feel and layering of the distortion channels is just something I can't replicate personally on any of the C+ models. every time I try, I just end up with a tone that is ear fatiquingly bright with a high gain sizzle that I don't like, then if I back it down, it becomes dull.

I've been thinking about doing this exact setup myself. Especially when considering they FINALLY have proper midi capability happenin' in the JP-2C and, it's a short head that can be rack-mounted. Of course, I'd still use just the Axe Fx/Matrix combo for fly dates.

The slave out on the Mesa's is taken directly off the output transformers taps so it is preamp and power amp signal for sure. if you go through the loop you loose the power amp's flavoring. unfortunately there is no way to turn off the cab sims on the cab clone. Slave out to the Axe Fx instrument input is your best bet. ( i know this from first hand experience) One thing to keep in mind though is if you want to push the front end of your amp with a drive pedal it will have to be a real one.

I'm just saying that you may not like the cab off mode through the Matrix power amp into your cab. If I understood correctly you just ran the JP2C straight into a cab which will most likely sound very different than the direct out I'm thinking you probably still won't get the sound you are after.

I'm just saying that you may not like the cab off mode through the Matrix power amp into your cab. If I understood correctly you just ran the JP2C straight into a cab which will most likely sound very different than the direct out I'm thinking you probably still won't get the sound you are after.

if he is using a good quality IR of the cab in the Axe and some good FRFR's it should sound great. Of course the microphone is always baked in but if he is pushing enough air he should miss nothing. Well almost nothing. Personally i would not use the built in cab clone to load the amp. There are better options.

Last edited:
I've heard that the cab clone is terrible so I did not want to use it at all, I just wanted it turn the speaker off using the load capability of the cab clone, than run the slave out onto the axe for the stereo effects and then either into an IR for direct recording or into my matrix power amp and than to two Mesa 4x12s.

Back
Top Bottom