Using AX8 & Scarlett 2i2 for playback

Matt1995

Hey guys,

I just got an Ax8, and I am trying to get the Ax8 to work on my computer, into ProTools or Ableton, but the tone I get from going from the main left out of the Ax8 with a 1/4in cable into the 2i2 sounds like garbage (as if I wasn't running a power amp, even though in the global settings I have the power amp and cabs enabled).

What should I do? I see people on youtube getting great tones from Ax8 -> audio interface -> computer, not sure what I am doing wrong.

Thanks!

Could it be that you have your input on the 2i2 set to instrument? Then you are most likely overloading the input. Set the input to line instead.

And you also checked that you are not overloading the Scarlett inputs?

I think you have to share a bit more

Use a factory preset (most of us have those), tell us exactly how you connect to the scarlett and record a snippet, so we can hear, how it sounds wrong.

Set your Scarlett the way you normally do to use with your computer. Turn OUT 1 on the AX8 all the way down (counter clockwise). Select a factory preset and strum your guitar while turning OUT 1 up. Let us know what this method does.

Another option would be to start fresh and select 'Reset System Parameters' on the Utility page of the Setup menu.

I run AX8 to Scarlett 2i2.

1/4” out left and right from AX8 into Scarlett. AX8 level out knobs max. (L&R). Adjust Scarlett line inputs just under where tickles the red. Your loudest strum or chug should be just under clipping (red).

I learned this from Austin Buddy’s video about unity gain.

From the AX8 manual (page 3):

"5. Unlike the FX8, the AX8 is NOT specifically designed for unity gain, but when you’re using it “direct” this really should not be a concern."

If the AX8 had a specific setting that would be considered desirable to achieve unity gain, it would stand to reason that it would be stated in the manual. The only thing the manual has to say addressing this, in several instances, is: "Set the AX8 OUT 1 level knob as high as possible to lower the noise floor." As I stated in another thread, "as high as possible" doesn't always mean 100%.

@Matt1995, so sorry to have derailed your thread. Please keep us posted with your progress or problems you may still have.

Please give this a rest - He states that it works with the exact hardware, the OP is using.
Give what a rest, referring to the manual to inform users what it actually says? Informing users that there is more than simply one "correct" way to set up the AX8?

To use your words: "It's a sad day for democracy when people are asked" to keep their comments to themselves when it differs from the elitist point of view.

Last edited:
I use the Scarlett 2i2 from left and right outs of AX8 and usually have out level at just under noon ,
then as stated above watch lights on input and make sure red light comes on only on peaks or not a all.
What gen scarlett 2i2 do you have?

Hey guys,

I just got an Ax8, and I am trying to get the Ax8 to work on my computer, into ProTools or Ableton, but the tone I get from going from the main left out of the Ax8 with a 1/4in cable into the 2i2 sounds like garbage (as if I wasn't running a power amp, even though in the global settings I have the power amp and cabs enabled).

What should I do? I see people on youtube getting great tones from Ax8 -> audio interface -> computer, not sure what I am doing wrong.

Thanks!
I have the 2i2 as well.
Do you have the gen 2?
The serial number prefix will tell you. (see below)
Sxxxxxxxxxxx or Txxxxxxxxxxx = 1st Gen
Vxxxxxxxxxxxx or Wxxxxxxxxxxxx = 2nd Gen

I changed to XLR out not 1/4. I had major issues with RF interference from my PC when using 1/4 outs.

Hey guys, hope it is fine to ask here since its a Fractal AX8/Scarlett 2i2 thread, and I have the similar goals (bedroom player playing over some backing tracks).
I've just bought the Fractal AX8 and I own a Scarlett 2i2 1st Gen. I also have a pair of BX5 M-Audio (it has TRS 1/4'' and XLR Inputs). Maybe changing my monitors to HS7 or HS8 Yamahas in the near future.
The thing is: I have 0 cables haha and I'm travelling to the USA in the next week
What type of cables should I buy to play the guitar with the fractal and the monitors?
- Will the Scarlett perfom good with this setup? I can eventually change for another unit if it's the case.
- I was told to experiment first the BX5 before exchanging to other monitors.

For some live/small gig at some friend's house I have my Fender Blues Jr III (I know its not a FRFR) but I'll be playing 90% at home.

Hope you guys can help me with this! This is a great community.

Ty very much.

I run 1/4” guitar chords from the Ax8 into the Scarlett and 1/4” stereo chords to the speakers. I haven’t noticed much of a difference running XLR vs guitar chords but I’m sure some rooms might have more buzz where you’d want to reduce the noise by using XLR.

Back
Top Bottom