Using an IR with a royer 121.

firmani99

Inspired
It seems like quite a few people use IR's with a 121. Maybe a 57 and a 121 or something. But every time I use a 121 IR I get so much low end. How do you guys combat this? Maybe just turn down the low end in the amp block? Or is there some secret trick?

And I don't mean setting the mic to 121. I keep that off. I'm just talking about an IR with it baked in. I mainly use cab pack 13.

If it's too fat, don't use the R121. There are enough really good IRs in CP13. Especially the SM57/MD421 combinations are pretty neat.

The 121 has body that helps to balance out the 57's bite, so they play well with each other. To clean up the low end, try raising your low cut in the cab block until it feels right to you. If you take it past 100hz and your tone is still too bass-heavy, turn your bass down in the amp block.

The R121 captures a LOT of bottom end.
IMO, Too much when used close on guitar cab.
Placed a bit further from the cab, the sound is a lot more balanced.
Lots of detail in the upper mids...

It seems like quite a few people use IR's with a 121. Maybe a 57 and a 121 or something. But every time I use a 121 IR I get so much low end. How do you guys combat this? Maybe just turn down the low end in the amp block? Or is there some secret trick?

The Royer 121 has a lot of proximity:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proximity_effect_(audio)

When using a real one, you increase the distance between the mic and the source, to decrease proximity.

There is a proximity setting int he cab block isn't there? I wonder if messing with this will work. All good starting points! Thanks guys!

There is a proximity setting int he cab block isn't there? I wonder if messing with this will work. All good starting points! Thanks guys!
I believe the proximity setting only increases the proximity effect. If the IR already has proximity baked in the only way you are going to remove it is with the low cut in the cab block.

The problem is that the proximity effect affects more than just a small eq area in the low/low mid range, and to use a low cut is more "cutting the balls" imho.
If you like to use the IR nonetheless I suggest to use a parametric eq to soften the low/low mid range with a broad q-factor to taste.

The Royer R121 is a ribbon microphone. This device class is generally characterized by a strong proximity effect, which overstresses the bass. Either simply not use. Or only as a supporting microphone. Or place the microphone further away from the cabinet grill to reduce the proximity effect.

Back
Top Bottom