Using an amp head as a power amp

Dillonski

Inspired
So, I'm gonna be taking my Axe-Fx 2 into Uni to use for assessments and I want to run it through the FX return of the Uni Orange head so I can use it as a power amp and then through the Orange 4x12.

I know I have to disable cab sims on the preset I use but is there anything else to keep in mind? What kind of volume level should I be sending to the FX return of the head?

Cheers! :)

Bear in mind that the power section of the Orange colors the sound! If you like it's tone then turn your power amp sims off too. If not, adjust them accordingly, you may like the sound.

Bear in mind that the power section of the Orange colors the sound! If you like it's tone then turn your power amp sims off too. If not, adjust them accordingly, you may like the sound.

What type of a level should I be feeding to the head? Like when I plug into the head what type of a level is safe to send to it?

What type of a level should I be feeding to the head? Like when I plug into the head what type of a level is safe to send to it?

I would say balanced via 1/4" TRS would be the best but quite honestly I haven't tried that setup in particular. I couldn't imagine there being too many problems with line level... But, I would think instrument level would be fine INTO the power section too, though obviously not out. I could be wrong though!

Start with the output level low and turn it up until it feels/sounds right. You're not going to blow an amp's FX return with the AxeFx's (or any preamp's for that matter) output signal it is just going to get stupid loud because in that config the tube amp's power amp is running full bore and the AxeFx's output level control is your volume knob.

i run mine through my blackstar with the 4cm. I have patches that are just the axe and they sound killer. I run it through a marshall 4x12 with v30s. I have built patches with the cab sims on, power amp on. it just takes more tweeking to get what ya want. The setup I have now it the best of both worlds and is the best tone I have had in a long time.
You might have to plug a cable into the input jack on the front of the amp. some amps require that to just use the fx loop return

Cab sims - off

Amp sims - on or off, depending on what sounds best to you as the Orange amp will probably colour your sound.

Output level - I go into a Matrix GT1000FX which is a solid state power amp. I have the Output on the Axe set to 100% (maximum) to get the best signal to noise ratio...I then raise the master volume on the Matrix to the appropriate level.

Perhaps a better approach going into a valve power amp would be to play your guitar through the Orange amp first (no Axe Fx in the loop), set your master level, then plug the Axe Fx into the loop and raise the Output level to match the level you were just playing at. This, I suppose, would then match the ideal output level from the Orange pre.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom